cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing drive path

Albatross_
Level 5

*** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/missing-drive-path-2 ***

Sorry for bypassing the post. I am even facing the same issue.

I have one robot and two drives. But it shows twice. I believe there is no persistant binding between OS and HBA.

I have NB on linux redhat ES 4. After every reboot the paths are missing and creating prob when taking backups. reconfiguring stu manually always is not right solution I think

Can you please let me the steps to follow the persistant binding, 

Awating for the reply

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

OneCommand/HBAnyware for Emulex, on *NIX system there often are a .conf file where you can do the persistent binding too. Might be called persistent naming for some *NIX systems

The steps are

1. Identify the tape drive(s) WWN(s)

2. Setup the persistent binding on the HBA(S) for the tape drive(s) WWN(s)

3. Reboot

4. Check that the tape drive keeps the assigned SCSI ID(s)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
More than one HBA? Brand and models?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Persistent binding is a function of the HBA in the backup server that is used to connect to backup devices.

So, you need to find out which make and model hba in the server and then download the hba tools from the manufacturer's web site.
For example - the tool for Qlogic is Sansurfer. 

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

The HBA we are using is qlogic qla2462.

I have installed san surfer on the Backupserver. checked for the ports and luns everything seems to be fine. I think there is multipath configured in switch level. But I dont have access to that...

Help me out in solving the drive missing path erros, they are recurring once the servers gets halted or rebooted.

If I make the HBA persistant will the issue be solved .

Can you please tell me how to configure and save me from this..

lspci output:

02:01.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
02:01.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
06:01.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
06:01.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)

lsmod output:

qla2400               232897  0
qla2xxx               196513  2 qioctlmod,qla2400
scsi_transport_fc      12353  1 qla2xxx
scsi_mod              146321  11 st,sg,lin_tape,ib_srp,usb_storage,mptsas,mptspi,mptscsi,qla2xxx,scsi_transport_fc,sd_mod

sansurfer:

sansurfer.png

Cheers

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

OneCommand/HBAnyware for Emulex, on *NIX system there often are a .conf file where you can do the persistent binding too. Might be called persistent naming for some *NIX systems

The steps are

1. Identify the tape drive(s) WWN(s)

2. Setup the persistent binding on the HBA(S) for the tape drive(s) WWN(s)

3. Reboot

4. Check that the tape drive keeps the assigned SCSI ID(s)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Maybe this will help:

http://filedownloads.qlogic.com/files/driver/44431/User_Guide_SANsurfer_FC_HBA_Mgr_OEMs_C.pdf

...see page 7-41.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified