cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi homed netbackup - backup vlan's

dpx_99
Level 4
Hi Experts,
I want to configure backup VLANs on media servers. I have some queries.
Question: should I need to configure VLANs on Master server (VM)? Or it is enough to configure data flow path between media server s and clients?
Is there any documentation available which can help me to configure and setup vlan's in netbackup?
Thanks
Dpx
5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

For evening to work master must be able to talk with both client and media servers.

You don't need to configure VLAN if master server can reach client via its default interface.

All interfaces must have separate DNS names.

I am not aware of any documentation about Netbackup and multihomed installations.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Should I add new DNS names of media servers through netbackup console?

I want to use /etc/hosts file for DNS resolution (media servers, clients, Master). Can I do it in this way?

Genericus
   VIP   

NetBackup is very sensitive to names and addresses. For example, if your client is system-backup and it connects back as system, NetBackup will have issues.

I have had issues with Linux and multi-nic where I had to specifically configure the system to respond via the NIC that was addressed. You may find you have issues having the master communicate via prod network and data coming over backup network.

Also, NetBackup does a tremendous amount of logging, and you may need to allow a path to send to the master with verbose logging turned on. I know I have seen a positive impact even on getting faster disks to log on, even at minimal logging. Not sure what impact the network would have.

Simpler will generally be better.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

Having said that, I can confirm the using the hosts file will work. 

I have done DR where I took DRmaster and confgured all the clients to point master to DRmaster, and "faked" out netbackup to use the DRmaster as the master server -- of course this was a while ago, not sure if it will work with new security in place.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Can't recommend host files. Going large scale it will be a nightmare (been there, done that).