cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS backup strategy

dukbtr
Level 4

We currently are backing up our EMC NAS with direct NDMP.  We are using 4 drives (vtl) connected to one of the data movers on the NAS.  The NAS is really big.  We backup a total of 32TB a week from it.  We have 2 mount points alone that are 5.5 and 6.5 TB.  From what we have been told, The entire NAS is going to double in size in the near future.  I'm trying to come up with a strategy or even new hardware/software that would enable me to back this thing up fast and reliable.  The 2 mentioned mount points are already runing 24 hours,  Having backups run for 2 days once they double in size does not work.  We do not have any mor data mover/ports to connect to the vtl to add drives.  

We have tried to break up the backups using excludes in the backup selection, but that did not work.  EMC and Symantec tech support said that we were the first place to try this and they eventually gave up saying they coul;d be no help.  We cannot do volume based backups as we can't lose the ability to restore directories using DAR.  We have users daily requesting restores of theire files.

Currently there are 25 mount points that get backed up on the NAS.  

Has anyone backed up a monster like this and if so how?  We need to find a solution that is quick and effective. We are looking for hardware, software solutions, cloud storage, anything that can back this beast up.

If you need more info, just ask.

Config:

Master Server/NDMP server:  HPUX AI64 11.23

NAS: EMC NS-480

VTL: Data Domain DD880

All connected with fiber on a Tape Area Network. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The best option would be to archive your filer using Enterprise Vault. You're currenlty backing up data that hasn't changed at all, and that is probably not accessed either. Unfortunately this is not what you want to hear in terms of a solution but it is the best strategy.

Had the data not resided on a filer you could use client-side dedupe that would decrease your backup windows substantially. But that would also have involved installing MSDP or PDDO.

dukbtr
Level 4

Actually the data changes a lot.  Well I would say that maybe 15-25% of it does daily.  Our incrementals are large also.  We have users and departments installing apps and running databases from the NAS.  

I was looking into either Enterprise Vault, EMC Avamar, or Data Domain Archiver, along with EMC Cloud Tiering Appliance. Anybody have any experience with these products?

Will_Restore
Level 6

"EMC and Symantec tech support said that we were the first place to try this and they eventually gave up saying they could be no help."

Sorry, no magic here and I wish you luck. 

teiva-boy
Level 6

Avamar would solve your problems and take backups down to minutes or very low hour counts...  Though it can get pricey!  But at least you can use NBU with Avamar to export the Avamar data to tape.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

How would Avamar do that? I'm not too familiar with the product so if you can explain that would be cool :)