cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 6.5 / W2K3 / Problems with non-barcoded LTO2 tapes

tomwie
Level 2
Hi All

I use NB6.5 on Win 2k3 R2 SP2 with Sun L8 autoloader ( HP Ultrium LTO2 + ADIC FastStor2 )

When I try to use nonbarcoded tapes some problems occur.

I start inventory robot with one nonbarcode tape in slot 1. This tape is labeled with standard A00001, then I do quick erase ( tape was used in NB4.5 environment with old media ID ). Robot mounts tape from first slot to drive and begins erase. After finish ( status 0 ) NB sends to robot unload tape command and problem appears

NB in Aplication viewer shows :

1. ) TLD(0) Initialize_element_status error

2. ) TLD(0) key = 0x5, asc = 0x21, ascq = 0x1, INVALID ELEMENT ADDRESS

3. ) TLD(0) going to DOWN state, status: Unable to initialize robot

Drive status changes from ACTIVE to AVR ( typically standalone device ) but I think it should be TLD.

Every next operation is hold

Error bptm(pid=5652) error requesting media, TpErrno = No robot daemon or robotics are unavailable 
- current media A00002 complete, requesting next media HP.ULTRIUM2-SCSI.000:NetBackup:A00002

awaiting resource HP.ULTRIUM2-SCSI.000:NetBackup:A00002
  A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
  Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
  Media ID: A00002, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart2, Access Mode: Write,
  Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
  Volume Group: 000_00000_TLD, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

until I perform manual unload tape from drive using front panel or robtest.exe command. After this status changes to TLD and TLD(0) robot goes UP 

I checked this with two L8 autoloader and problem is still occurs ( both L8 were used in NB4.5 on Solaris 9 without problems with nonbarcoded tapes )

When I use barcoded tapes everything is OK like mounting or unmounting tape.

Any idea what is wrong ???

Thanks for every response

Tom

5 REPLIES 5

zippy
Level 6
The robot may not be configured correctly.

I'm assuming you have a robot and one tape drive "chained" to the robot buss.

1. ) TLD(0) Initialize_element_status error

2. ) TLD(0) key = 0x5, asc = 0x21, ascq = 0x1, INVALID ELEMENT ADDRESS

3. ) TLD(0) going to DOWN state, status: Unable to initialize robot

chek the device files onthe system and compare them too the Netbackup configuration.

Also you will get this error id the door is open.

JD

puchalak
Not applicable
Partner
I've got the same problem. The same error accurs, when the tape without a barcode needs to be unloaded from the drive to a robotic device (I need to unload it manually). The problem is annoying, becouse when a tape without barcode is iside the drive and it cannot be unloaded by NetBackup, it stops all other scheduled backups!

When I use tapes with barcodes everything seems to be fine.

Any ideas? What information should I provide, to help you diagnose the problem?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I would have thought that the whole point of a robot is that it needs to know what media it is handling.
NetBackup is designed to work with barcoded media.
You can get a simple, straightforward label program for LTO or DLT barcodes for $50 here:

tomwie
Level 2
Hi

Thanks for replies

I'm confused because I think that NetBackup supports also non-barcoded tapes ( in robot devices ) as in 4.5 version.

Labeling tapes is only way to solve this problem ?

I think that If robot mount nonbarcoded tape  he knows from which slot it was done, so unmouting wouldn't be a problem.

Tom

zippy
Level 6
you can use non bar code tapes in stand alone drives.

but the sense key error is a config error, it has nothing to do with the barcode thingee

you also state this

start inventory robot with one nonbarcode tape in slot 1. This tape is labeled with standard A00001, then I do quick erase ( tape was used in NB4.5 environment with old media ID ). Robot mounts tape from first slot to drive and begins erase. After finish ( status 0 ) NB sends to robot unload tape command and problem appears

the robot put the tape in the drive, so it knows the location of the tape and the drive, however when the robot trys to unload it it fails, so in my opinoin this error has nothing to do with the tape itself it has to do with the configuration of the library within the Netbackup server.

look at NAC (GUI) devices - hosts - robot drive number, make sure you drives correclty numbered.  You can decern this by comparing the serial number of each drive.

the first drive; this is the one that is chained to the robot would start with the number "1" now compare the serial number.

another thought is too: down this drive and force the robot to pick another drive.

Message Edited by James Dunn on 10-31-2007 06:42 AM