cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Back up POLICY Failing - ndmp_enable_extensions: ndmp_config_get_list failed. status=30

bc1410
Level 5

We are trying to use the NDMP Backup portion of our Symantec Software to backup Data that reside on our NAS. Our platform is Oracle Solaris 10 SPARC (64bit). The data trying to be backup resides on our Sun/Oracle ZFS Storage 7120 Appliance. We have a Backup Policy type NDMP that we are trying to use to backup our data. We get the following message for the failed backups. Error ndmpagent (pid-24994) ndmp_enable_extensions: ndmp_config_get_list failed. status=30 (NDMP_EXT_DANDN_ILLEGAL_ERR). Within the backup policy that we set up for the NDMP backup we have the Backup Selection(s): /Export/Misc, /Export/homes etc.... (Just to name a few).... These backup selections fail with the above mention error. Now I was trying some trial and error and was able to get a successful NDMP backup when I used the entire directory path such as /Export/Misc/addons, /Export/Misc/Outlook, /Export/Misc/dbconfig... etc.... But it’s ridiculous if I have to use the entire directory path to obtain a successful backup. Especially when we have hundreds of directories.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

The backup selections list must specify directories from the perspective of the NDMP host.

Two examples:

/home/dir1/

/vol1

The following backup selections capabilities are NOT supported for an NDMP

policy:

Wildcards in pathnames. For example, /home/* is an invalid entry.

Individual file names. Only directory or volume names are allowed.

Exclude list (because client software is not installed on the NDMP host). You

can, however, exclude files by using the SET keyword.

See About environment variables in the Backup Selections liston page 50.

The SET option lets you exclude files on a backup. The format is vendor

dependent; refer to the vendors documentation for more details on which

variable can be passed and in what format.

bc1410
Level 5

Thanks for the reply Bill,

Yes I understand that wildcards are not allowed.  Our NDMP backups are only successful if I was to type out the entire directory path in the Backup Selection Lists which is crazy.  We have hundreds and hundreds of directories on the NDMP host.  I should only have to list the top directory under the Backup Selection List.  And when I do list the top Directory part of the directory tree we get the error that i describe in my inital post.  We arent using individual file names...  As I stated we are just trying to use the top root directory path sort of speak. 

We get this message..Error ndmpagent (pid-24994) ndmp_enable_extensions: ndmp_config_get_list failed. status=30 (NDMP_EXT_DANDN_ILLEGAL_ERR

I not sure what the whole deal is with the extension part of the error message??

I opened a case with symantec support but not sure whats going on with that as they are very very slow to respond.. I guess all that money we paid for support really work out well...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you log a call with Oracle as well?

NDMP_EXT_DANDN_ILLEGAL_ERR is an NDMP error, not NetBackup.

ndmp.org recommends checking logs on the NAS (http://www.ndmp.org/download/sdk_v4/draft-skardal-ndmp4-01r407.txt )

All possible error codes for core NDMP are listed below. Some of these error codes cover a range of cases and it is strongly RECOMMENDED that the NDMP Server use the LOG Interface Log Message request (see 4.2.1) to provide further information. A log type of NDMP_LOG_ERROR SHOULD be used.

bc1410
Level 5

Thanks for replying... I did log a call with symantec support over a week ago.. First time using the symantec support and not to satisfied with it.. Only reason not satisfied is because I havent heard anything from them... Not even an confirmation of my problem case.  Well one email saying an engineer will call me after I placed 3 phone calls to the 1-800# and left a message on somebodys blank voice mail.   So I will wait to hear from them...  But in the mean time I guess I can call Oracle also to see what they say as well...  Thanks

Will_Restore
Level 6

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/systems-hardware-architecture/ndmp-whitepaper-192164.pdf

Backup Path

The NDMP service should only be used to back up user-created shares and file systems on the Sun

ZFS Storage Appliance. This usually entails configuring the backup application to protect shares that

are exported under "/export". Also, individual shares (or subdirs in shares) should be selected. Do not

attempt to back up "/export" by itself.

Correct backup paths

/export/myshare

/export/myshare/subdir

Incorrect backup paths

/export

/etc

<snip>

It is possible to create a Project on the Sun ZFS Storage Appliance that has a mount point of

/export/myproject. All shares in that Project will inherit that base mount point and have a mount

point of /export/myproject/myshare1, /export/myproject/myshare2. It is acceptable to create a

backup that protects /export/myproject and all shares in that project that have the base

/export/myproject mount point will be backed up in the same backup stream.

So it may be the way your appliance is configured after all.

bc1410
Level 5

Thanks for the lastest post Bill and the Link...  Im finally got in touch with Symantec people after all and sent them some log files.  Havent heard back yet.  But in regard to you post.

Within the Netbackup NDMP Policy under the backup selection tab where you list what you want backed up.  We are not trying to just backup the main root directory of a directory tree, Such as /export, or /var or /root, or /usr.  

We are using the created share paths for the file systems.  As I stated in my first post we have shares such as  /export/Misc, /export/homes, /export/legacy, etc...  These share paths have many many subdirectories under them..  Let me go back and read the White paper document again and see if Im missing something.

Thanks again