cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to backup a virtual client with millions of small files

LT2000
Level 4

We are running NetBackup 6.5.6 (soon to upgrade to 7.1.0.3) on a Solaris 10 master with RH Linux media servers.

One of the backup clients is a windows 2003 vm, where we have the NB client running on the guest system. This particular client has approx. 30 million smalls files (about 200gb total storage). I've been reading up on flashbackup, block-level backups using VSP, and VMware Best Practices with NB. So my question is: do I/should I setup an environment as illustrated in the "How to configure and use NB 6.5.1 for VMWare" using a proxy server, or can I simply use VSP as outlined in Technote 37962. I'm not a windows person, much less technical with VMware, so I'm not sure if I can use VSS on a VM guest Windows 2003 OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Backup of blocks is more efficient than individuals files as you've obviously come to realise. Efficient on time and resources in use to perform the backup. Storing indexes for millions of files is very inefficient and frought with problems. Although you can resort to checkpoints during your backup, so that if the backup failed part way through, say a timeout, you would pick up where it left off.

Things to consider from your info.

Your not a Windows person, but you would require to setup a Windows VMware Backup host under 7.1.0.3
You dont look like you have one in your environment that you could turn one into. So there is that to consider. Additional licensing will have to be considered for the backup host and per ESX host that VM's are on you wish to backup.

So give the VSP technote a go. However, the technote was created in 2005, keep that in mind. (might be some compatibility issues - maybe not)

Recommend you investigate VMware style backups:

It is becoming more efficient to use the VMware snapshot backups using the vstorage api. And this might be a route to consider if you are still using the traditional method of a NB Client inside all your VM's.

Here's a nice document to consider for best practices, shown at VMworld 2012 for NBU 7.1

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-netbackup_best_practices_WP_21195951.en-us.pdf

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Backup of blocks is more efficient than individuals files as you've obviously come to realise. Efficient on time and resources in use to perform the backup. Storing indexes for millions of files is very inefficient and frought with problems. Although you can resort to checkpoints during your backup, so that if the backup failed part way through, say a timeout, you would pick up where it left off.

Things to consider from your info.

Your not a Windows person, but you would require to setup a Windows VMware Backup host under 7.1.0.3
You dont look like you have one in your environment that you could turn one into. So there is that to consider. Additional licensing will have to be considered for the backup host and per ESX host that VM's are on you wish to backup.

So give the VSP technote a go. However, the technote was created in 2005, keep that in mind. (might be some compatibility issues - maybe not)

Recommend you investigate VMware style backups:

It is becoming more efficient to use the VMware snapshot backups using the vstorage api. And this might be a route to consider if you are still using the traditional method of a NB Client inside all your VM's.

Here's a nice document to consider for best practices, shown at VMworld 2012 for NBU 7.1

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-netbackup_best_practices_WP_21195951.en-us.pdf

LT2000
Level 4

Hi Stuart.

The strategic solution is to build out a backup host, and use the vstorage API, etc... (BTW: thanks for the link). But we are not at 7.1 yet, and this particular backup is causing all types of issues for the app owners. So I need to come up with a tactical solution. I was curious as there were any technical constraints with using VSP on a VM guest (as you pointed out, that tech note is old).

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The beauty of Virtual Machines is:

Do you have the storage to clone the VM to a new VM name, dont power on, disconnect the network. Power on. Logon local account. change the network identity IP, stop all app services on startup to disable. Connect to network change the NB Client to reflect the new name and have a play with this out of the realms of you live data and app owners.

Nothing to lose.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE upgrade to 7.1.x or 7.5.x ASAP.

Lots of fixes, new features, enhancements for VM backups in 7.x versions. 
All 6.x versions will reach EOSL on 3 October 2012.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have plans to implement deduplication, consider usage of NBU Accelerator that could solve some issues that are not okay with FlashBackup (i.e. slow restores). VADP is also okay but you need Windows or SLES proxy to use it with SAN transport.