cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup - Backup Tapes and Offsite Jobs

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

We have been doing standard Backups to Disks, and now my company wants Tape Backups done. They want Tapes to be send offsite, some 3rd party company will be picking up the tapes, and have bought NetBackup.

The Backup jobs will be Daily Incrementals and Fulls done on Saturday.

How can this be setup in NetBackup so that everyday tapes are pulled for the Incrementals to be sent offsite? I have heard that maybe creating tape partitions could work, but thought that I could get good advise here.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to all of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That can be done easily using the Vault. Create the different volume pools for daily and full backups. Create the vault management profile and use the eject option to eject the daily or full volume pools as desired.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That can be done easily using the Vault. Create the different volume pools for daily and full backups. Create the vault management profile and use the eject option to eject the daily or full volume pools as desired.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Will you be still using disk backups that will be duplicated to tapes?
The disk backups will be available for onsite restores while offsite tapes will be available for DR.

The method chosen for duplication will depend on type of disk backup:
Basic disk: DSSU (Disk staging storage unit) to duplicate at scheduled times
Advanced disk: SLP (Storage Lifecycle Policy) to automate duplications

As per above excellent post, you can also use the vault option.
You can configure a vault profile to duplicate data from disk to tape and then eject tapes when duplication is done.

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

Thanks for the information. I will start looking into the volume pools and using the vault as you suggested. I appreciate the help.

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

I believe some stuff will still be backed up to disk so I will bring up your suggestion as well. Thank you for your help as well!

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

I have created a volume pool by Right-Clicking on 'Media' and choosing 'New Volume Pool', but how do I choose which Tapes go in this volume pool?

Thanks again!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You right click a media and select the 'change' option.

In the pop up window, you will see a 'change pool' option.

Moving tapes, generally damages them unless you are very careful, but it is not that simple ...

Presuming you have LTO tapes, though most are prone to this.

If the tapes are not kept streaming (running above a cerain speed, they keep stop /starting.  This reduces the tension in the tae, and instead of the tape pack lying flat, some of the 'wraps' of tape protrude above the main 'pancake' (as it's known).

It the tape is then moved, the tape pack  rattles around and can damage the edge of the tape, as it hits the inside of the cartidge.

To reduce this risk the tapes have to be packed correctly, a solid case with 'solid' shaped inserts is NOT suitable (but is very often what 'tape storage' firms use).

'Bubble wrap is ood, providing each tape is individually wrapped, as far as cases go - these are very good.

http://www.imation.com/en-US/Scalable-Storage/Scalable-Storage-Products/Storage-Media/DataGuard-Tran...

The inserts are a soft squidgy foam, and are attached into the case using velcro and are quite a lose fit - therefore providing excellent protection .

When I used to move tapes (though  not many) we suffereded many cases of unreadable tapes.  Switch to these cases 100% eliminated the problem.

The better solution (if possible) is to locate the library physically in a different location - therefore the data is 'automatically' offsite, and no tapes have to be moved, the tapes stay in the library - which is the safest place for them.

Martin