cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Scripts for VMAX Timefinder/Clone (BCVs)

BrianCoulombe
Level 3

Does anyone have any vanilla scripts to use for NetBackup 7.x for VMAX (SRDF) TimeFinder/Clone (BCV) backups?

Simply put, we need to put together a script from NetBackup to break away the clone and run the BCV.  The clone is already set up and attached to the NetBackup server.  While it is in it's clone state the device is read-only.  When the S/E commands are run to break the clone away from the R2 device, it changes to R/W and should be seen by the NetBackup server.

We need to create one for Windows 2008 servers and one for HP-UX servers.  I worked on these scripts at my old company (HP/NMCI) but do not have access to those scripts and really, I don't need them.  I need to create brand new scripts for the environment we're running here (VMAX, NetBackup, Windows 2008 and HP-UX 11.31).

Would appreciate any help in advance :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

not sure what you mean by that. 

However you may need some delay logic.  Been a long time since I worked with BCV but it seems to me while loop waiting for return code from EMC device.   Sort of like this:

split

wait for response

mount

wait for response

done, proceed with backup

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

EMC commands run on the host to interact with the Symmetrix.  And I think SRDF, TimeFinder, BCV are all different flavors of data replication.  EMC support should supply the appropriate commands. 

example from Snapshot Admin Guide:

To fully synchronize STD/BCV mirror pairs

1 Create a temporary file that contains only the source and target device IDs

separated by a space. (Only one source-target pair can exist in a temporary

file.)

For example, if the source (STD) device ID is 0050 and the target (BCV) device

ID is 0060, the temporary file should contain the following:

0050 0060

2 Use the symmir command to fully establish the mirror pair.

symmir -sid 000187910258 establish -f temp_file -full

When the pair is synchronized, it can be used in a NetBackup policy.

Synchronization can take a long time. For example, it may take between 5

and 10 minutes for an 8GB STD/BCV pair to enter the synchronized state.

3 Check the status of the mirror pair:

symmir -sid 000187910258 query -file temp_file

Make sure the temp_file name matches the temp_file name you used above.

4 In the output, look for Synchronized under the State column. When the pair

enters the synchronized state, it is ready to be used for backup.

BrianCoulombe
Level 3

Do we add this to the BPStart/End scripts?

BrianCoulombe
Level 3

Hmmm maybe I wasn't clear on what I need help with.  I already know the SRDF commands and what I need to do with our VMAX to break the clone from the R2 device.  So the Solutions Enabler commands are not an issue.

What I need help with is the actual NetBackup scripts.  Since I am not an expert with NBU (I am a SAN Engineer and know DMX/VMAX/CX arrays) I need to know how to write the scripting data for the BP scripts.

So, we're not trying to sync the BCV to the R2 device, we're trying to break it away, attach it to the NBU server, run the backup, know when the backup is complete and then simply reattach the clone to the R2 device.  So the commands are not an issue but what I need to consider adding to the NBU scripts so that it doesn't get hung up or failed.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Yes, you would add appropriate commands for the split and mount to bpstart_notify on the backup client, and unmount commands to bpend_notify.

BrianCoulombe
Level 3

So there shouldn't be any additional .txt documents required, correct?  Just enter the Solutions Enabler commands to the start/end BP scripts, correct?  I guess what I want to do is make sure that the scripts understand when something is completed from the Solutions Enabler side of things before it attempts to go ahead and run a backup.

Will_Restore
Level 6

not sure what you mean by that. 

However you may need some delay logic.  Been a long time since I worked with BCV but it seems to me while loop waiting for return code from EMC device.   Sort of like this:

split

wait for response

mount

wait for response

done, proceed with backup

BrianCoulombe
Level 3

Works for me.  We're going to test this tonight.

Appreciate the help!