cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.1a & VCB1.1

Morg
Level 3
Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a policy to backup our VM's which are a mixture of windows and linux via the Virutal Center Server and have run into two separate issues.

Netbackup Environment

Master Server & VCB Proxy: Windows 2003 R2 32bit - VCB1.1 - Netbackup 6.5.1a

Virtual Environment

VI: 2 x ESX 3.5.0 Update 1 (build 82663) - VC 2.5 update 1
VM's with latest WMWare Tools

Issue 1:

Attempting to backup a Windows 2000 SP4 Server and getting "FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156".  On checking the bpfis logfiles I can also see the following message:

'vcbMounter' 8068 error] Error: Failed to open the disk: Cannot access a SAN/iSCSI LUN backing this virtual disk. (Hint: Option "-m ndb" swtiches vcbMounter to network base disk access if this is what you want.)

Issue 2:

Attempting to backup a RH5 Linux server and again getting "FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156".  This time when I check the bpfis logs I get the following message:

'vcbMounter' 6760 error] Error: Other error encountered: Snapshot creation failed: Custom pre-freeze script failed.

And in VI Client under tasks and events I get:

'Creating a quiesced snapshot failed because the (user-supplied) custom pre-freeze script in the virtual machine exited with a non-zero return code.'

In this instance I get the same issue when running it manually from the command line, however, I have found that I can get round it by using a -q 0 option which bypasses the pre\post-freeze scripts.  What I can't find is a way to do this through netbackup so I'm a bit stuck.  Obviously being a quiesced backup is the preferred way but a backup is better than no backup at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I could have missed in the setup?  I've been digging around these forums and the vmware community forums and several people mention possible fixes in 6.5.2 and others mention issues with VCB1.1.  When are the next updates due out?

Cheers,

Leigh
3 REPLIES 3

JC33
Not applicable
Hi Morg,

I have the same configuration and the same problem. You should install VCB 1.1 on a Windows 2003 32bits. VCB doesn't work properly with 2003 R2.

Issue 1 : check if the VCB access to the LUN. The snapshot don't work properly with mapped raw lun.
Issue 2 : check in the VMware tools if a script run before the snapshot. Maybe there is an error on the script. Turn on the logging on the VM.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would seriously consider you update to NetBackup 6.5.2, out on 9th June 2008. There are a number of fixes for VCB and better implementation within the policy to visibly choose you storage transfer type, and also to choose whether an optimized vmdk file or not is used, also there is a new type of Virtual Machine backup introduced in 6.5.2:

type 3-FullVM and file for incremental: A combination of options 2 and 0.

6.5.2 has fixed a number of errrors/issues I had under 6.5.1:-

Error#1 VM backup method type 2-Mapped FullVM, backup detail status reported:

Error bpbrm(pid=4380) from client barney.bedrock.org: ERR - Unable to retrieve volumes from virtual machine, error = 2059

Error#2 VM backup method type 0-File Level

Error bpbrm(pid=1796) from client barney.bedrock.org: ERR - Unable to add to excluded file list error = 11

Issue #1 Although errors above appeared backup completed Status 0, but could not restore.

requested restore job and backup tape mounted and just hung, had to cancel.

Furthermore my VCB proxy/Media Server was Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition 64BIT (Service Pack2).
So 2003 R2 works and using 64BIT

Here are some snippets from the ETRACK document for 6.5.2 specific to VCB

Etrack Incident = ET1187873 

Description:
VMware fullvm backups would not have an incremental capability. For Windows
clients, where a file-level snapshot could be used for incremental backups,
there is now a capability to specify that a fullvm snapshot is used for full
schedules and a file-level snapshot for incremental backups.
Etrack Incident = ET1232059 

Description:
VMware backups were not looking in the correct location for VCB installed
components on Windows X64 platforms.

[The VCB framework installer placed components in Program Files (x86) but then had to be moved to Program Files]

Etrack Incident = ET1232066 

Description:
A media server must be licensed to backup remote clients to be used for a
Vmware backup. A SAN media server should not be used.

[This might explain the type of license needed, as we needed a TIER 3 type license for it to work.]

Etrack Incident = ET1186143 

Description:
The VMware full VM restore now has the ability to control an identity
restore and strip all network information from a restored VM.

The script provided by VMware to complete the restore of a virtual
machine to the ESX server has command line options to force an identity
restore, and to strip all network information form the restored VM. The
user interface now enables you to control these options and to pass them
on in the flags for the restore.
Etrack Incident = ET1187875 

Description:
VMware Windows backups can now do a file-level snapshot for incremental
backups and a fullvm snapshot for full backups.
Etrack Incident = ET1214026 
Associated Primary Etrack = ET1207687
Titan cases: 290-944-881 311-813-162

Description:
VMware FullVM and Mapped FullVM backups would fail if multiplexing was
turned on. In addition, Snapshot client VMware FIM backups would fail
with with an error code 229 if the VM type is set to FullVM or mapped
FullVM.

[Do not use multiplexing]

Etrack Incident = ET1250942 

Description:
The mount point that was being passed on the backup x using y command line
was causing bpbkar32 to attempt to get a lock on the volume. This caused
the VMWare backups to fail in many cases.

Message Edited by Stuart Green on 06-12-2008 08:22 AM

Morg
Level 3
Thanks to both of you for your responses.  I had seen posts on here and other forums about 6.5.2 and got the feeling that would possibly be what I needed to fix my issues.  I didnt realise it had been released yet so I will update my master\vcb server and let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Leigh