cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 and Error 58

LGSC4900
Level 3

Using NetBackup 6.5 and job status reads error code 58 can't connect to client.  Media server is involved.  Unable to run bpclntcmd on client due to missing or corrupt MSVCP71.dll file.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

virtual machine?

If you uninstall the ESX/ESXi 3.5 version of VMware Tools or upgrade VMware Tools from version ESX/ESXi 3.5 to ESX/ESXi 4.0, you may experience these symptoms:
  • msvcp71.dll is removed from C:\windows\system32 in 32-bit and C:\Windows\SysWow64 in 64-bit
If you cannot upgrade to ESX 4.0 Update 1, you must replace msvcp71.dll.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You will need to fix the missing/corrupt dll issue. If problem persists, use troubleshooting steps in this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-58-backup-fail

Mouse

Did you try to reinstall NBU Client software on the client?

LGSC4900
Level 3

I appreciate your reply 'wr'.  Yes, it is true the client is a virtual server.  I have not tried to reinstall the NBU client software as of yet.  I have researched the missing/corrupt dll issue and believe that an update is needed. The VMWare Tools update will need to be performed after 5pm.  :)

LGSC4900
Level 3

I agree with 'Marianne van den Berg's' comment as well. Thanks!

I have been formally introduced to backups again after a 7 year hiatus as of last week.  Not my normal day-to-day...

I will post my log file soon.

LGSC4900
Level 3

No 'admincmd' directory was found.  Unable to perform the bptestbpcd command on the client. 

LGSC4900
Level 3

Here is the output I get after running bptestbpcd

E:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bptestbpcd -client ZEN2

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(ZEN2) failed: 25

cannot connect on socket

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you checked if the hostname resolves and ping works fine. Please try nslookup with the hostname, FQDN and IP address, check if it resolves all of it from master/ media. Any firewall on client might be blocking it?

What operating system you are running on the client?

Create bpcd folder on the client under \Veritas\NetBackup\logs\bpcd and then try the bptestbpcd -client ZEN2 -verbose -debug. Please post output and bpcd logs from client as txt file here.

LGSC4900
Level 3

Unable to run bptestbpcd on client-'bptestbpcd is not recognized as an internal or external command'. Client is running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.

Marianne
Level 6

bptestbpcd is a server command. 

Test as follows:

1) Create bpcd log folder on client.

2) Run bptestbpcd command on master and/or media server with '-verbose -debug' switches.

3) Check bptestbpcd output as well as client's bpcd log for errors.