Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 problem and question.

Simonhoo79
Not applicable

Hi Tech,

I'm new to Netbackup 7.0.

Need helps and advises on my setting, i had install the netbackup without and error and just updated it to 7.0.1.

I'm running in this setup;

1. Windows 2k8 R2 svr

2. HP Tape library MSL2024 *SAS connection between svr and library.

Problems;

When i create the 1st backup job and run it, it complete without error appear. Then i change a new tape to the SAME slot i remove.

Did a re-inventory and is all up-to-date.

I try to run the same job again and error show saying this;

- Error bptm(pid=1780) incorrect media found in drive index 0, expected A00001, found A00006, FREEZING A00001
- current media A00001 complete, requesting next resource Any
- end writing
- unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96) ..

*I set the retaination to 1 day.

Question:

1. How do i set the cleaning tape to be a cleaning tape when running the Inventory???

2. Is it advisable to create per Group and Pools and assign the tape/slot for each Server which i going to backup.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You seem to be using a library that has a barcode reader but no barcodes on the tapes?

PLEASE buy some labels ASAP - without barcodes media management becomes a 'mission'...

If there are no barcodes on the tapes, NBU will add all media as 'NEW' each time you perform an inventory. The tape that you've added was used previously and has an internal label of A00006.

As per Admin Guide I, the GUI Inventory is for 'robotic libraries that contain barcode readers and contain barcoded media.'

'For the robotic libraries without bar code readers or that contain media without bar codes, you can show the contents of a robot. However, more detailed information is required to perform automated media management. Use the vmphyinv physical inventory utility to inventory such robots.'

vmphyinv  must be used from cmd and will load each tape in the library, read internal label written on tape header and update NBU config with the location of tape in library (slot number).

Please read  'About the physical inventory utility'  starting on p.343 of Administrator's Guide for Windows, I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127079