cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.1 restore of Legacy Exchange Backup Files only to Non-Exchange Server

_powday_
Level 3

Is it possible to restore the files only from legacy Exchange 2003 database backups to a Non-Exchange Server?  Our Exchange 2003 environment is long retired and I am hoping to just grab the .edb, .stm, logs, etc, files from tape and use a tool like Digiscope from Lucid8 to mount those files instead of having to recreate the environment.  

In Backup, Archive, and Restore I've tried selecting the source server with Policy type: MS-Exchange-Server and then choosing a member server for the destination client.  In the destination I've tried replacing "Microsoft Information Store" with C:\whatever.  The restore starts writing data and creates the directory structure, but then terminates leaving 0 byte files.

It's an odd request I know, but any help appreciated.... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, cannot be done....

Only data is backed up, not the structure. You need an Exchange Server with all the structures in place in order to receive the data.

Disaster recovery procedures are documented in NBU for Exchange Admin Guide as well as various TNs.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, cannot be done....

Only data is backed up, not the structure. You need an Exchange Server with all the structures in place in order to receive the data.

Disaster recovery procedures are documented in NBU for Exchange Admin Guide as well as various TNs.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear....

BTLOMS
Level 5

you can use ontrack. It emulates the exchange server.

other than that the only option is to install a new exchange server and use that as your restore server. You will also need to have the same DG names and structures etc.