cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8 vmdk backup of linux vm shows no files for restore for NSS volume

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi I've configured a VMware backup of a Novell OES virtual machine which goes direct to tape and completes with a status 0. I've completed both full and incremental backups of this vm and have both the 'enable block level incremental backup' and 'enable restore of individual files' check boxes ticked - everything backs up as expected with no errors When I browse for restore I can see folders and files for the virtual machine with the exception of an NSS volume for which no folders or files are there - I'm assuming these weren't backed up and 'skipped' by NetBackup. I'm trying to understand why this might be? The volume itself was originally configured as an independent disk which would explain the reason as it wouldn't be included as part of the vCentre snapshot - but this was then changed to a dependent disk and when I take a snapshot I can see the delta file created - so it has been included in the snapshot and therefore I believe should be included in the netbackup vmware snapshot. Any thoughts on why this may be happening? many thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eduncan
Level 5
Employee
5 REPLIES 5

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

NSS filesystem is not supported for mapping (File System Indexing).

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006177

Page 23/24

CadenL

Ah ok - that makes sense

Am I right in thinking that the actual vmdk will be backed up ok?

Therefore we could recover the entire machine (to an isolated network) and then copy off the files we need back to the original server

CadenL

And I guess others options would be:

Install the netbackup client and do client based backups of the NSS volume.....

move the files to an EXT4 filesystem which will then be supported for vmware GRT backups.....

CadenL

And I guess others options would be:

Install the netbackup client and do client based backups of the NSS volume.....

move the files to an EXT4 filesystem which will then be supported for vmware GRT backups.....

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

That is correct.