Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup SAP alternate restore

turhan_sensoy
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

I am planing to do SAP alternate restore. I have read the Netbackup SAP admin guide. But I still have some questions.

I know that the source and destination client should have same OS and SAP versions installed.

My questions are:

1. Should I use same hostname and IP?

2. Should I have same database on destination client as source?

3. should I create same user as source client?

If the questions above are clear then I will continue with the following steps

1. Configure the NetBackup server
2. Copy files from the source client to the destination client.
3. Configure the NetBackup for SAP destination client.
4. Perform the redirected restore.

To perform a NetBackup for SAP redirected restore

1. Verify that you are logged in as the NetBackup administrator.
2. Configure the NetBackup server to allow redirected restores.
  This step differs depending on whether you want to allow restores from any client or from only selected clients.
  (a) To remove restrictions for all clients, create the following file on the Netbackup master server:
      C:\Program Files\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions
      OR
  (b) To restrict clients to restore only from certain other clients, create the following file:
      C:\Program Files\NetBackup\db\altnames\client_name
  (c) If you performed step b, add the name of the NetBackup for SAP source client to the client_name file.

3. On the destination client, back up the existing control files to preserve the original configuration.
   These files are usually in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database directory.
4. Copy configuration and control files from the NetBackup for SAP source client to the NetBackup for SAP destination client.

(a) Copy the following files from the source client, usually %ORACLE_HOME%\database, to the same location on the destination client:

#initSID.sap
#initSID.utl
#initSID.ora
#initSID.dba
  (b) Copy the %SAPDATA_HOME%\sapbackup directory from the source client to the same location on the destination client.

5. Configure the NetBackup for SAP destination client.
  (a) Change the client parameter in the initSID.utl file on the destination client to the name of the source client.
  OR Set the SAP_CLIENTenvironment variable on the destination client to the name of the source client. For example:
  SAP_CLIENT=source_client
  export SAP_CLIENT

Note: The SAP_CLIENT variable has higher priority than the value in the initSID.utlfile.

(b) On the destination client, create a file path like the one on the source client. For example:
  Source client actual path is:
  C:\Oracle\SAP
  Destination client actual path is:
  C:\Oracle\SAP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Note: Do not use the -m dest_dir option with brrestore.
  This option restores the files to the directory you specify, rather than to the original directories.
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Perform the redirected restore. a Log onto the NetBackup for SAP destination client. b Enter the following command:
    cmd>brrestore -d util_file -b last -m full

Again please let me know if I am missing any steps.

Thanks for your interest

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4

Roger_C
Level 4
Employee

Hi Turhan,

Just responding to your original concerns..

1. Should I use same hostname and IP?

This is not restricted, you can use a different hostname and IP.

2. Should I have same database on destination client as source?

You should have the same 'instance' configured - (if Unix it requires the same structure - same paritition etc,). This is to locate the controlfile etc

3. Should I create same user as source client?

Again if unix, create the same user.

The rest of the steps look like it was taken from the manual there is no real need to change anything from what you have already stated above.

Let me know how you get on..good luck.

turhan_sensoy
Level 5

First of all thanks for your answers.

Tomorow I will be on meeting with customer about SAP restore.

It is first time that I am going to do a SAP restore.

I will let you know the result

Thanks again

Regards,

Eric_Zhang
Level 5

Good Luck, man !

turhan_sensoy
Level 5

Hi All,

I am wondering whteter it is posible to do an Alternate restore if we have different database with SAP?

SAP Admin guide mentions that Redirect restore is posible if you have SAP on oracle database

If you can update on that issue I will ne happy

thanks

Kind Regards,