cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Sybase Database Backup Zero Size

Jack888
Level 2

Hi,

We're setting up a new backup configuration on our windows server. We're using sybase database 16.0 and Netbackup 8.2 version.

Had tried to follow all the required configurations, whenever Netbackup triggered a full database backup, it showed completed but with zero backup size. Does not seem correct.

Is there anything else that we might have missed out?

Appreciate for any help.

Thanks.

- Jack

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Backups with size 0 or 32 KB is always a major concern. Something went wrong for sure.

Have you checked the log files produced during the backup ?

One good command to get a overview is : vxlogview -p 51216 -X "jobid=12345" there joibid is the ID from the activity monitor. If job has multiple streams, vxlogview query can be used to search for multiple job ID's. See tech note below.

How to use the "vxlogview" command to view Veritas NetBackup Unified logging entries
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017099

Else consider to open a support case with Veritas Technical Support.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

since Sybase backups are script-based, I understand that parent backup job ends with status 0 but does not generate any child backup jobs per db backups, am I right?

Then it is needed to doublecheck the backup script with right parameters to what it is exactly doing. Test it outside NetBackup first. It seems it is doing some "empty" action only which is not evaluated as an error.

Regards

M.

Jack888
Level 2

Hi All,

Thanks for the response.

How can I trigger the backup outside Netbackup? Any sample command?

Because during Netbackup execution, understood that there are some parameters/environment parameters being used.

- Jack

@Jack888 You can simply execute the script that you have defined in Policy's backup selection path and watch out for posible errors.

Jack888
Level 2

Hi,

Tried to copy the dump command and run it, but it hit with some errors saying it's too long. Think it could be that there are many parameters that were included such as: backup policy, client, schedule, etc

What should I do to be able to run it manually? Thanks.

- Jack