cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup catalog incremental backup just hangs

afacey
Level 4
Netbackup 6.5.4 Solaris 10 / Sun T2000 Master/Media/EMM Catalog indexes mounted via NFS (Netapp 2040) Recently our catalog incrementals are hanging after a successful full runs. If I select it manually to backup it runs, if I restart NBU services, it runs via scheduler just fine. Nothing is recorded in bpbkar log - it just stops when it comes to reading a file sand sits there. Detail from job activity log shows the last statement as "begin writing". Tape is loaded and drive is fine. I end up having to kill the job, restart NBU services and it runs fine. Since NBU states this in their admin guide: "Symantec does not support installation of NetBackup in an NFS-mounted directory. File locking in NFS-mounted file systems can be unreliable." NBU support is not being very helpful. I have all but the indexes local, just netbackup/db/images is mounted via NFS. Have been running this way for 2 years - no issues. I have recreated the catalog policy as well. Same issue. Any ideas? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Maybe that's why Symantec does not support catalogs on NFS....
If there's no error in bpbkar and it doesn't get stuck on the same filename, then it's just guessing!
Anything in /var/adm/messages?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

I found this Bug Report that describes an issue with hung catalog backups on Windows, but the issue is solved with 6.5.4...
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323222.htm

Also found TechNote for AIX master - nothing for Solaris....

All I can suggest is that you enable bpbkar log on the master and examine the log when the backup hangs.

afacey
Level 4
Thanks for the tips. Sorry, I should have mentioned that bpbkar (verbose=5) has tuned up nothing. It gets to a file and just sits there. Restart NBU and it works fine, blazes right by the file.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Anything special about the file that it hangs on (e.g. name)? Same file every time?

Don't like the fact that it works after a restart & then "fails" again later......

Marianne
Level 6
Maybe that's why Symantec does not support catalogs on NFS....
If there's no error in bpbkar and it doesn't get stuck on the same filename, then it's just guessing!
Anything in /var/adm/messages?