cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup restore of a Outlook Calendar (Exchange 2007)

Denda
Level 5
Good Afternoon Everyone -

Have just been given the Exchange Admin responsibilities.  I have always been told that one cannot restore a calendar or calendar items from a netbackup backup but would like to confirm that.  I am unsure on if it just cannot be done or if previous admins just did not want to deal with it. :o)  We perform a daily full backup of our exchange environment every day.  I have performed several mailbox and mail restores via RSG however I never see an option to restore a calendar and wonder if we may be missing something on our backups.  I would greatly appreciate any advice or direction to documentation that will answer my calendar question.  Thank you in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

GG0001
Level 3
Hello,

I have looked into this before,assuming your are backing up the EDB's as a whole ,I beleive resoring the calander is not possible unless you open the edb using ontrack(excellent btw).I dont believe you can see the *.ics files using the RSG.Hope that helps.

Stefan70
Level 3

Dear Denda,

since Netbackup 6.5.4 it is possibel to restore a calendar item. You need min. Exchange 2003 and on NBU the Granular Restore option. For Garnular Restore you need also a Harddiskstorage for your Backup as an NBU Disk Pool. For more details, look at Veritas NetBackup for MS Exchange Server Administrator`s Guide.

Troyw
Level 3
Hi, regarding you issue on granular restore of calendar items, Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp provides the ability to OPEN, BROWSE, SEARCH, EXPORT and RECOVER all messaging items from offline Exchange 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000 or 5.5 EDBs  & LOGS.  All items are accessible including email, tasks, notes, calendar appointments, and all other messaging items and you don't need to use RSG's, Active Directory or even the Exchange server unless you want to restore to it and then of course you need to be able to connect to the desired mailbox 

Troy

Denda
Level 5
I will first check out Stefan70's suggestion since it is using what we already have w/o introducing something new at this time and see if I can pull that off.  Granular recovery was not checked in the Netbackup policy.  I will try enabling that and report back.  Thank you again.