cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - unable to relabel tape in standalone drive

alazanowski
Level 5
So heres the situation:

1. We recently brought a remote media server into our netbackup master environment that is not on a robot and contains a single stand-alone drive. Previously, the system was backing up via backupexec but we migrated after the rebuild. They need to re-use their old tapes from when they had backupexec so you have the issue where there was an MTF-header and it wouldnt write because it was backupexec media. However, if you relabel the tape, this replaces the header information and you can use the tape.

2. We've attempted to relabel the tape both via gui and command line for a tape in the single drive that has the MTF-header issue. However, netbackup tries to say it cannot access the media and is looking for it even though i specified the remote media server for handling the labeling process. After the original backup the media is created and then frozen. I can unfreeze and attempt but to no avail. If i delete the volume, add a new name, and try to label it, it still fails. What the heck is going on that im missing here?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you selected all the MTF options under Host Properties -> Media Server -> <Server-name> -> Media -> Allow media overwrite?

One more thing - when you label using the GUI, de-select "Verify label before performing operation".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you selected all the MTF options under Host Properties -> Media Server -> <Server-name> -> Media -> Allow media overwrite?

One more thing - when you label using the GUI, de-select "Verify label before performing operation".

alazanowski
Level 5
Perfect, thats what allowed it. Thanks!