Network initialization Failed. rc=3997697

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Environment 
NBU Server = 7.0
BMR Client image = win2003 with SP2 R2

Error

I am trying to restore the BMR backup on a different hardware. I took BMR backup successfully.
I am booting from Network successfully but after booting while Starting Network Services BMR restore giving me the specified error. I have also added  the NIC driver of different hardware(Intel DG43NB motherboard with built-in LAN of giga speed) from Driver Package Wizard
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
Your client is based on win2003 with SP2 R2, where in 7.0 the BMR SRT is based on winpe 2.1 (win 2008). In this case if 2008 NW driver is not available in winpe 2.1 based SRT then "Network Initialization failure" may appear on SRT boot.
Please check below technote similar to one issue.
-Mandar

--------------
Scenario:

Restores for Windows systems having Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC with DeviceId as VEN_14e4&DEV_165A, usingFastBoot restore method.

Issue:

Since driver ripped from Windows 2000/2003 machine for NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” does NOT correctly loads in new BMR Restore environment (WinPE 2.1 - windows 2008 based), they need to be added in BMR externally, using “BMR Create Package” wizard, to correctly restore these systems.

Solution:

To correctly restore these windows systems, please follow these steps:

1. Download 32/64 bit Window 2008 based driver (of Client’s architecture) for “NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” from broadcom’s website:

32-bit:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_32-12.2.2.1.zip

64-bit:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_x64-12.2.2.1.zip

Note: These links are for reference, they may or may not be accessible.

1. On the BMR-BootServer, run “Create Package” wizard under “Boot Server Administration” wizard and add this downloaded package by providing inf path and other driver details (select operating system as windows 2008).

1. Now for the target client and config select the SRT and run ‘Prepare to Restore’ again. This should add the required drivers to the SRT.

Now restore the Client using PXE boot or ISO (created out of above SRT). Client should successfully restore

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
Your client is based on win2003 with SP2 R2, where in 7.0 the BMR SRT is based on winpe 2.1 (win 2008). In this case if 2008 NW driver is not available in winpe 2.1 based SRT then "Network Initialization failure" may appear on SRT boot.
Please check below technote similar to one issue.
-Mandar

--------------
Scenario:

Restores for Windows systems having Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC with DeviceId as VEN_14e4&DEV_165A, usingFastBoot restore method.

Issue:

Since driver ripped from Windows 2000/2003 machine for NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” does NOT correctly loads in new BMR Restore environment (WinPE 2.1 - windows 2008 based), they need to be added in BMR externally, using “BMR Create Package” wizard, to correctly restore these systems.

Solution:

To correctly restore these windows systems, please follow these steps:

1. Download 32/64 bit Window 2008 based driver (of Client’s architecture) for “NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 5722 series NIC” from broadcom’s website:

32-bit:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_32-12.2.2.1.zip

64-bit:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_download/570x/win_vista_2k8_x64-12.2.2.1.zip

Note: These links are for reference, they may or may not be accessible.

1. On the BMR-BootServer, run “Create Package” wizard under “Boot Server Administration” wizard and add this downloaded package by providing inf path and other driver details (select operating system as windows 2008).

1. Now for the target client and config select the SRT and run ‘Prepare to Restore’ again. This should add the required drivers to the SRT.

Now restore the Client using PXE boot or ISO (created out of above SRT). Client should successfully restore

Zahid_Haseeb
Why do i give the driver of Broadcom. Its the NIC built-in in the source Server of which i took the BMR backup. But the Intel NIC is the new hardware. So i think i need the intel NIC driver ? is not it ? 

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
Yes. Using bmrcreatepkg wizard on bmr boot server, you need to add win2008 compatible intel NIC driver into BMR database. Later PTR will automatically select appropriate one.
I had just given you one example with broadcom NIC driver. You dont need to add broadcom driver. :)

Thanks.
-Mandar

Zahid_Haseeb
Ahh thanks Mandar

But here one thing is very strange...

Suppose i am running BMR on NBU6.5.x and its working fine in Backup and Restore. Suppose i upgrade the NBU from 6.5.x to version7. Then what will happen ? i mean i have to add NIC drivers for win2008 for all BMR backups?

I think it will be a very big problem after upgrading....because there are so many NICs which might not have the Win2008 driver. As my Intel NIC does not have. (i went to intel.com and i did not find the driver for win2008)

I think if i am correct then this problem stop me to upgrade NBU Server!!!!!

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
 You dont need to add Win 2008 NIC drivers for each backup.
On 7.0 onwards, SRT is winpe 2.1 (win2008) based. This winpe versoin has a good amount of drivers available by default. Only some specific drivers wont be available and user needs to add win2008 speicifc version.
In case you have 100 client machines of win2k3 os running with xyz type NIC. And winpe 2.1 does not have win2008 version of this NIC available by default and win2k3 driver version does not work well then you see the network initialization failure error. In this case you just need to add win2008 driver version of xyz NIC only once to BMR.
Later whenever you do prepare to restore operation this correct NIC driver will be selected automatically by BMR and inserted into SRT. BMR boot will then happen successfully.

Zahid_Haseeb
Ok Mandar

let me agree with you.

What will i do if my NIC does not have the win2008 driver as i told i have DG43NB motherboard which is even not too old motherboard. 

What will you do if you are at my place.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Please download win2008 driver version of that NIC (from internet or the motherboard installable cd/dvd).
Using BMR create package GUI on BMR BOOT server, add this driver into BMR database. (Please refer BMR admin guide if you are not familier with this wizard.)
Then create new SRT if possible.
Do Prepare To Restore of client using this SRT and try NW boot.

Let me know in case that does not work.

Thanks.
-Mandar

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can also manually add drivers to SRT:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/351742.htm

Zahid_Haseeb
Let suppose I can get win2008 Driver but i am not able to find the win2008 TAB. See the atttached pic. What should i select for win2008 driver

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

BMR Client support for W2008 added in 7.0.1:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/356785.htm

What are the key new features NetBackup 7.0.1?

The marquee features of NetBackup 7.0.1 include:

• Client Offline
  • Remote NDMP Multiplexing
  • OpsCenter AIX support
  • EV 9 Support
  • SharePoint 14 (Office 14) SharePoint 2010
  • BMR Client AIX 6.1
  • BMR Client SLES10 x64
  • BMR Client SLES11 x64
  • BMR Client support for W2008 and W2008 R2
  • BMR client support for Solaris 10 x64
  • BMR client support for HP-UX 11 v3 (11.31) IA-64
  • Z-Linux Oracle 10gR2 / Basic Client
  • SQL Server W2008R2 support
  • Linux zSeries Media Server support for Linux
  • Audit Trails Phase 1 (will be limited to using the CLI and only tracking policies and restore jobs)

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
Please selet Windows Vista in that dropdown.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Kim_Kelly
Level 3

Trying to restore a win 2008 r2 client with bmr.  Getting network initialization error with same rc as above on boot from BMR CD.  Restoring to same hardware.  Using Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE.  How could I be missing a driver if I got the BMR backup successfully?  Because win2008 r2 srt doesn't have it?

If I do have to add a driver to the BMR database, how do I get it on the BMR bootable CD?  That is created from the SRT, which doesn't have drivers on it?

Thanks,

Kim 

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

When did you created the SRT? Before backup or after taking backup?

If SRT is created before taking backup then the ripped driver might not have gone inside the SRT. In this case if you create a new SRT and then burn media out of it, your restore will work.

Please confirm this.

In order to debug this issue, many details are required like bundle.dat (client config), log files, DB query o/p etc.

So I recommend opening an SR ticket for this issue.

Thanks.

-Mandar

Kim_Kelly
Level 3

I already tried creating a new win2008 x64 SRT and burned the iso from it to a new boot CD.  Got the same initialization error with new CD.  Where does the SRT get the list of drivers to use?  Do you have to do a prepare to restore first to load the drivers onto the SRT and then create the boot iso?

Thanks Mandar.  I did open case yesterday afternoon.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

>> Where does the SRT get the list of drivers to use? Do you have to do a prepare to restore first to load the drivers onto the SRT and then create the boot iso?

Oooopps, please do PTR and then create ISO. The driver wont go inside without doing PTR. Sorry that I have not stated this clearly in my earlier comment.

When PTR happens, BMR checks device list of the client configuration and finds out the latest winpe 2.1 compatible driver for that device in its DB repository. It add all such compatible drivers into the SRT.

Thanks.

-Mandar

Zahid_Haseeb

so i was using .0 instead of 7.01 ?

olson
Level 2

Hello,

Same problem for me, trying to restore on a HP bl460 G7

With nic: HP NC553i Dual Port FlexFabric 10Gb Converged

Hardware IDS:

PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&SUBSYS_3315103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&SUBSYS_3315103C
PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_19A2&DEV_0710&CC_0200

When booting from cd

The whole restore procedure works fine on a Bl460 g6.

setup:nbu 7.01

os win2008r2

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Hi Olson,

As per an article on web, It seems the RIS driver is present within the HP SmartStart Scripting Toolkit.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/core-management-100.html

Driver be2nd6x.inf under hpDrivers\Winpe30\nic\be2nd6x

We need to confirm with broadcom that if this driver is winpe 2.1 compatible or will be there be a winpe compatible driver available. We sent a query to them.

I will recommend you opening an SR ticket with Symantec on this issue. As deliverable will be an EEB plus some configuration steps.

THanks.

-Mandar

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

My bad.

Its not broadcom but instead HP Emulex branded NIC.

http://www.emulex.com/products/oneconnect-ucnas/10gbe-fcoe-cnas/hp-certified/nc551m-converged-flexfa...

Looks like No WinPE RIS drivers available.

As I suggested please raise an SR ticket to get better assisted on this problem.

Thanks.

-Mandar