cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-Prem to AWS data recovery

data-backup
Level 4

I have a situation where  the customer servers are backing on our 0n-Prem NetBackup solution using NetBackup 8.0 and Data Domain. They are planing to move their servers to AWS and want to know how we can recover their data to AWS. Would I be able to recover data if I add storage storage and configure S3 diskpool in the current environment and dirrectly restore to the S3 bucket.Or do I have to duplicate images from Data Domain to the S3 diskpool.Please share your thoughts and suggestions.Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DD VE 4.0 supports Active Tier on S3, so I'd perhaps go with it - provision it in AWS, get an AMI with NBU Media Server and attach it to the DD VE, replicate DD-to-DD VE and perform a standard restore.

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

If your customer is moving to AWS then most probably they will move away from DataDomain (DD). Ideally you should configure AWS cloud storage server and S3 bucket as diskpool for on premises master server. Duplicate existing DD data to this cloud diskpool. Expire (optional) data from DD. Take catalog backup on AWS S3 bucket. Now build NetBackup master server (use disaster recovery master server option and DRpackage for 8.1 onwards) in AWS EC2 instance, use original hostname, install path and NetBackup version. Configure AWS S3 bucket with this master server. Use DRfile (generated during onpremises catalog backup) to perform catalog recovery.