cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Archived logs backups taking long time.

AndresV
Level 6
Partner

Hi Guys,

I have some problems with my Oracle RAC enviroment, the full backup takes 15 minutes, this is normal so far, but archived logs backups are taking almost 90 minutes. The wierd part is I have other 3 RAC enviroments and I have no problem so I dont think is a tunning issue on media server (5230 appliance, 2.7.3 version) o master server (Windows 2012, 7.7.3 version).

Any ideas?? What should I check or ask to DBA to validate??

I´m attaching the screenshot the DBA took where you can see the problem I talking about.

7 REPLIES 7

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

There are many reason to delay backup. We need archive log job detail status from NBU activity monitor for more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Detailed status is a good starting point.

The rman output file and dbclient log on RAC node(s) should also be checked.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Ask the DBA to check the recover catalog. If the recover catalog isn't up to speed delays are seen especially during archive operation.

Hi guys,

Here is an update, right now I start the archived logs policy and did a "tail" to rman output and I´m seeing the whole backup process doesnt take that long, the problem is when NBU try to allocate channels almost 15 minutes in 6 channels...

AndresV
Level 6
Partner

Hi guys,

Here is an update, right now I start the archived logs policy and did a "tail" to rman output and I´m seeing the whole backup process doesnt take that long, the problem is when NBU try to allocate channels almost 15 minutes in 6 channels...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What else is running at the same time?
Are there sufficient backup resources (tape/disk/max jobs, etc) for the requested channels?

Hello,

As you mentioned in first post that full backup is complete in 15 min and archive backup take 90 min.

In your last post you mentioned that 15 min delay to allocate channel. 

Is that allocate all 6 channel in 15 min or each channel 15 min?

If it take 15 min to allocate all channels then, are you ok with archive backup in 75 min?

Have you get better speed for archive backup in past? How much time it took to complete.

We need to understand your expectation about backup speed.

Thanks & Regards,