cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RMAN backup on AIX

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
I have installed veritas net backup client 6.5 on my IBM AIX 6.1 server. How can i link my Oracle to the veritas client so that i can use RMAN to take backup on the tape.

Thanks

Salman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
See page 10 of the Compatibility Guide:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279048.pdf
11gR1 is supported with 6.5.3

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
The NBU for Oracle manual is your friend.
Chapter 2 covers the following topics:
Installing NetBackup for Oracle
Linking NetBackup for Oracle with RMAN

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your help. I have already installed 6.5 net backup client. but i dont see the oracle_link and other lilbrary files in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin direcotry. Do i need to install agent for oracle from a different media than 6.5 net backup client or is it automatically installed with the net backup client?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
The Oracle agents needs to be installed first and can be found on the 'Agents and Options' cd, or if you have a dvd set, it can be found on dvd 4.
Detailed installation instructions are in chapter 3 of the NBU for Oracle manual.
Do yourself a favour - read the entire manual before you attempt any further configuration.

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
Again thanks a lot and it really helped. I am able to install agent also but when i run oracle_link script for linking the libraried, i face error

Oracle version: 11.2.0.1.0
This version of Oracle is not supported in this script

Because i am using 11.2 oracle version. Can you please guide if i need to install some other version of agent or patch the agent?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Extract from page 37 of the manual:
Verify that NetBackup for Oracle is supported on your operating system or platform.
To verify compatibility:
1 Go to the technical support Web page: http://entsupport.symantec.com.
2 In the Product Lookup field, type in NetBackup Enterprise Server and click on the > button.
3 From the list on the right, click on Compatibility List.
4 In the list of documents, click Veritas NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) x.x/ NetBackup Server x.x Database Agent Compatibility (Updated date).
For x.x, look for the current release. For date, look for the most recent date.

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi

You need to Install NB_CLT_6.5.4, and NB_ORA_6.5.4 patches on the server first , and then open a support case with us so that we can provide you with an eeb.

Please read this technote for supportability of Oracle 11G R2

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337527.htm

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
Thanks rj, what bout 11G Release 1(11.0.7).  Does 6.5 client and agent works with 6.5 correctly?

Salman

Marianne
Level 6
See page 10 of the Compatibility Guide:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279048.pdf
11gR1 is supported with 6.5.3

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Thanks for this great help :)

Marianne
Level 6
Please select the post that has answered your query and mark that as solution.

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi Marianne
this document mentions that i need 6.5.3. Does it mean that i should strictly stick with this version or i can also use a later version for example 6.5.4 which is also available.
I am trying to install 6.5.5 client from the file NB_6.5.5.rs6000_337787.tar. Is it the correct file which i downloaded. Document http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337041.htm says that  "The 6.5.5 Release Updates listed below requires 6.5 GA be installed before installation" What is this GA?
Thanks

Salman

Marianne
Level 6
Salman, I get the impression that you're a 'doer' and not much of a 'reader'...?
The column heading says 'Start of Support'. That says to me that all subsequest versions are supported.

W.r.t. the 6.5.5 patch installation - the patch that you are trying to install is for a NBU Master or Media server.

Have you upgraded the Master and Media server(s) to 6.5.5 yet? This must be done before upgrading of clients.

Extract from 6.5.5 download URL:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337041.htm

Under the UNIX heading:
Note:  NetBackup UNIX Add-on products and Database Agents have separate Release Updates.

NB_CLT_6.5.5.tar provides updates for NetBackup 6.5 for all UNIX clients.

NB_6.5.5.rs6000.tar provides updates to NetBackup 6.5 on AIX servers

Under UNIX Agents/Options heading:
6.5.5 Release Update did not refresh the packages below.  The 6.5.4 packages can be used with 6.5.5 systems:

NB_ORA_6.5.4.tar provides updates to NetBackup 6.5 for Oracle Database Agent on UNIX platforms

Another extract:
For 6.5.5, some Agents/Options have not been updated with new code and are not distributed with this release update.  These situations require the Agent/Option to fall back to the latest patch available if it is not available for 6.5.5.  For example, a UNIX client running Oracle should be updated with the NetBackup 6.5.5 client package (NB_CLT_6.5.5.tar), but since there is no Oracle Agent update for 6.5.5, the 6.5.4 Oracle Agent update (NB_ORA_6.5.4.tar) is to be applied.  The latest 6.5.x package is referenced in this document.

The 6.5 GA Release is the base 6.5 Server software that must be installed before patches/updates (6.5.x) can be installed.

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Thanks