cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle virtual machine backup

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Hi,

I have a netbackup enviroment running with 7.6.0.1 .  Need  to take a a complete backup of VM which is hosted in OVM.

Is it possible ?? need a steps how to go ahead as I am new to this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Deploy a agent in the OVM, just like a physical host. Alternative shutdown the appliance and copy off the file to a alternate location.

There is no "snapshot" vmware type of backup available for Oracle Virtual Machines.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Deploy a agent in the OVM, just like a physical host. Alternative shutdown the appliance and copy off the file to a alternate location.

There is no "snapshot" vmware type of backup available for Oracle Virtual Machines.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai - only option is NBU client installation in each VM.

NBU support in Virtual environments is covered here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 

cynthiapinto
Level 4

If I install the client in VM I can only take the directory backup right . I am looking for a complete VM backup

jim_dalton
Level 6

The backup will be exactly as it would be for any other server, be it physical or virtual: it would be the standard client flat file backup. Dont Oracle have products to allow for vm snaps? Jim

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you want a complete VM backup, power off the VM and backup the underlying files.

Looking for a "online" VM backup method, like VMare or Hyper-V is not available for Oracle VM using Netbackup.

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Thank you so much for the update. I have installed the client in OVM server & taken the image backup like flat file system backup