cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems restore files on network resource

bonovox
Level 3

Good Morning,

I have VNB 6,5 installed on Proliant with Win Server 2003.

It works fine, I can backup clients UNIX and Windows.

When I want to restore any file I can do it in original position on clients or locally within a folder.

For space problems, I want to restore files on a network resource shared from another server and mounted on my VNB server.

Unfortunately, when I select from BAR application the different location for restoring, choosing network resource that I connect to my server, an error occur saying that it isn't possible create files.

Of course I have all grants for net network resource.

I tried to restore same files into a local resource without problems.

I tried also to restore from a client some files selecting a network resource connected to that client, same error.

Instead I mounted an NFS resource in a Unix client restoring files on it. Any error was occurred.

It seems an error writing on a network resource mounted on a windows system, but I don't know what to do. 

Anyone can help me please?

Thanks.

Christian

3 REPLIES 3

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi Bonovox,

Please make sure the NetBackup Client Service is using a network user account with permissions to the network resource and that file sharing and file system permissions are set-up correctly.

Is this network resource a ntfs filesystem or is this on a different filesystem such as a filer (NetApp/EMC)?

If this is a NAS device then please restore the file back locally first, then copy over to the filer.

Thanks

Gary Yeardley (NetBackup Database Support Engineer)

Franck_Paris
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Ensure NetBackup Client Service is starting with an account that has rights to write on the network file system (by default NetBackup client service starts with LOCAL_SYSTEM which has local rights only).

Also ensure NetBackup is configured to allow alternate client restores:

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/195261.htm

Thanks

bonovox
Level 3

Good morning,

The service client is started with local account that is administrator.

For about the network resource used, I did 2 tests:

1) network resource is a FS shared by samba

2) network resource is a FS shared by a windows machine

In both cases I can write & read normally from my server 2003. Only when VNB would write on those resources there is the problem.