cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reformatting tapes / Changing retention levels on tapes

Level 2
I have a question, I have been using Netbackup to backup a few servers in the office, but when I first set up the policy, I set the data retention to 6 months. If I had a glut of backup tapes to take advantage of this it would have been fine, but unfortuneately I do not. I have 4 SDLT tapes, and Netbackup won't let me format them, or reset the retention levels.

Does anyone know how I can manually change these retention levels, or how I can just reformat the tapes and start over from scratch?

Thanks,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Go to the properties of the media set that they belong to and change the Ovewrite Protection level to whatever you need

Level 2
Speficically with the Administration console, I can't find how to modify the properties of a media set. I can find within the policy where to change the overwrite protection, but I don't think it will work. I have made changes to that before and it still did not seem to fix the problem.

I will have to wait over night to see if the changes made any effect on the policy.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Since a NetBackup query has been posted to Backup Exec v9.0 moderated forum, moving the post to NetBackup moderated forum

Thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6
There is a command called bpexpdate that can be used to change the retention or even expire all images on a tape. It sounds like you have a fairly small environment so starting from an established baseline would be OK. To expire all images on a tape use the following command
bpexpdate -ev -d 0
Please see the following technite:
DOCUMENTATION: Ways to change expiration date (retention levels) of media and backup IDs
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237159.htm

and also
How to manually remove a tape completely from NetBackup/Media Manager.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/208420.htm

Now for starting over
I would probably go with a one month retention for a weekly full and the same retention for a daily incremental. That way you can use the same tape for fulls and incrementals. Also please remember to backup the NetBackup catalogs.
Another suggestion. Buy some more tapes and rotate a set offsite for safety.