cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore problem

Hollycapri
Level 3

Hello everybody,

Some days ago I changed my Standalone Autoloader to the new one IBM with Barcode reader. The problem is to restore the files. I performed the backup in a standalone tape called A00009 on the past, and now I don't know how I can restore from this tape.

The new robot work only with Barcode, so I tried to label the tape A00009 (handle label) with the new Barcode D00787. What I have to do now? The tape is inside the robot... how can I read her to do the restore?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hollycapri
Level 3

Hello again....

I done the restore!

I just done the follow steps:

- Label the old tape (A00009) with Barcode (D00787), and insert it into robot and mannually I move to drive 1 (using robtest);

- On Netbackup I deassigned tape drive 1 (Devices ==> Drives ==> Double click on Drive 1 and unselect "Drive is in a robotic library");

- Start the restore....

Thanks for everybody....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

J__LeVan
Level 3
Have you tried Importing the D00787 media? This should read the header on the tape and make NetBackup aware of the contents.

Hollycapri
Level 3

Hello Levan...

Yes, I have!

I am receiving this message:

"7/3/2008 10:48:56 AM - awaiting resource A00001 A pending request has been generated for this resource request.  Operator action may be required.  Pending Action: No action., Media ID: A00001, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart, Access Mode: Read, Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE, Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A"

Whn trying to read from D00787

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
I would try putting the tape in the drive, either manually or using robtest, then look at the Activity monitor devices tab and see what shows up. You may then be able to import the tape.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Hollycapri wrote:

... so I tried to label the tape A00009 (handle label) with the new Barcode D00787. What I have to do now?

I'd be somewhat concerned at this point. When you label a tape thru' the GUI you get a message:

"WARNING: This action is irreversible and any data will be permanently lost from this media and no longer available for restore or import"

so you may have lost the media on this tape.

There are procedures for loading & importing un-barcoded tapes into a library, which involves reading the tape label on the tape itself using vmphyinv so NB knows what it is & where it is & if necessary a Phase1 & Phase2 import so as to allow for restores.

There have been several recent postings on this:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&thread.id=45451

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&thread.id=45449

Hollycapri
Level 3

Hello again....

I done the restore!

I just done the follow steps:

- Label the old tape (A00009) with Barcode (D00787), and insert it into robot and mannually I move to drive 1 (using robtest);

- On Netbackup I deassigned tape drive 1 (Devices ==> Drives ==> Double click on Drive 1 and unselect "Drive is in a robotic library");

- Start the restore....

Thanks for everybody....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Glad it all went ok, was a little worried myself there! Smiley Happy

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

why you change the label? you could name it A00009 also renaming the tape can put info in risk, good everything went fine.

regards