cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Windows File in VMware envirronment

Thibaud_A
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have an vmware envirronment with linux  and windows server. 

I backup my servers with a VMware Policy.

I need to restore windows file but I don't want to install the NBU client on each server.

So I dedicate one of my win server to be the "proxy" server. I restore the file on it and copy the file to the good server.

This proxy server has the client installed.

But the restore failed with the status 58 : Can't connect to client. I deactivated the firewall and run again. But I have the same error message.

The only way I found is to create a "fake" policy with no schedule but only one client : My "proxy server". I deactivacte this policy.

With this configuration I can restore the file. But I think is not the only and the good way to restore a single file.

Could you please help me?

Thibaud 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If you don't install a NetBackup Client inside a guest VM, then you have to restore via another host.  There are only two ways to do this.

It seems odd that you have to create a dummy policy to do achieve a restore.  This doesn't seem right to me.  I think that the restore may have ended up working for a different reason.  If you remove the dummy client entry from the dummy policy and try the restore again, does it still work?

Are you aware of the typical/usual steps/commands/methods that a NetBackup admin should use to verify master to client, and media to client and client to media and client to master type communications?  If not, then can I suggest that you search this form for examples of using 'bpclntcmd' and 'bptestbpcd', as this question comes up again and again - and has been covered many times before.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If you don't install a NetBackup Client inside a guest VM, then you have to restore via another host.  There are only two ways to do this.

It seems odd that you have to create a dummy policy to do achieve a restore.  This doesn't seem right to me.  I think that the restore may have ended up working for a different reason.  If you remove the dummy client entry from the dummy policy and try the restore again, does it still work?

Are you aware of the typical/usual steps/commands/methods that a NetBackup admin should use to verify master to client, and media to client and client to media and client to master type communications?  If not, then can I suggest that you search this form for examples of using 'bpclntcmd' and 'bptestbpcd', as this question comes up again and again - and has been covered many times before.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You should not need a 'fake' policy to enable restore to the proxy server.

All that NBU needs is forward and reverse name lookup, open ports (1556 in both directions), and SERVER entry for the media server doing the restore.

What happens if you delete the policy? Can you restore to the proxy server or does it fail again?

My gut-feel is that the issue may have been caused by NBU host cache.
Whenever a new client or server is added to the environment, NBU host cache must be manually refreshed or else wait an hour for host cache to refresh automatically.

TN:

When and how to clear the NetBackup host cache 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136792