cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Question

siri416
Level 4

Hi All,

For SLP , if we set the backup retention to 5 months and duplication to  2 weeks..i would like to know how it will work.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thats very odd to keep backup for longer than the duplicate copy??

How it will work?  

Exactly as you configure it!

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

ya.. its a odd question for me too..

but as soon as i read this question.. i got one more question.. what if the SLP failed to duplicate with in 2 weeks? does it stop duplicating?

i need to test that..:-)

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

The only reason I can see keeping a duplicate copy for two weeks would be for DR. Having it replicate to a different STU in a different datacenter. You would only need the longer retention in the datacenter where the data lives, however two weeks remotely would let you restore in case of a failure.

As far as the window for replication, I believe as long as the SLP is set to active it will keep retrying untill is succedes and then will keep the data two weeks from when it completes, but I have not tested this. Let me know if its two weeks from the first copy being created.

Marianne
Level 6

That's right - backup copy is set to infinity until duplication has succeeded. Only then are final retentions applied.

siri416
Level 4

Thanks all for responding on this..

I know that backup copy retention would be infinte until duplication completes>I just came across this setting ,bit confused so want to clarify on this

So if we set backup copy to 5 months,until duplication completes it would be infinite ,and after duplication completion the backup copy would be retained for 5 months..correct ?

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. That is how SLPs work.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Once the dup works, the bckup copy would be kept for 5 months from the date of the backup, not from the date of duplication. Therefore if the dup was 4 months after the backup, the backup copy would be kept only 1 month more. If the dup was successful greater than 5 months after the backup copy would expire immediately. martin