cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL backup dies when requesting a new tape

terryd3
Level 4

I am running 7.5.0.6 on a Linux host.  When running full backups on ms sql client the backup errors out and dies any time that the tape it is writing to fills up.  Even if there is a tape available, it will mount the new tape, but about 30 seconds later it errors out with the generic error 6.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

What does the /var/messages say ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Never seen this in all 14 years of working with NBU...

We will need logs to troubleshoot:

On media server: bptm and bpbrm

On client: dbclient

Please copy logs to .txt files (e.g. bptm.txt) and post as File attachments.

terryd3
Level 4

I attached snippets from the time when the error occurred.  

Marianne
Level 6

These snippets don't help...

bptm log does not show any tape that has filled up and new one requested.

Please check bptm PID in Activity Monitor details (would be nice if you share this...) and find entire thread for that PID in the bptm log.

dbclient does not help either when you start copying the log here:

The following object(s) were not backed up successfully.

We need to see what happened before this point.

Good luck!

watsons
Level 6

Your media server is 7.5.0.6, how about the MSSQL client = same netbackup patch level?

If not, you might want to check this: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204104.

Try to use disk storage unit to check if this is tape-related issue. If it's tape-related, consider enabling the /usr/openv/volmgr/debug  (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH18012) to gather media manager issue.

terryd3
Level 4

Marianne, thanks for the replies.  I don't feel comfortable posting our logs here.  

Watsons, the client is also 7.5.0.6.  We used to have the problem described in the above link but it was fixed with 7.5.0.5.  The only problem we now have is when the tape becomes full.  

We have a case that has been open for quite a while with support, I will send them these logs.  I will let you know if they find an answer.

Marianne
Level 6

There are no 'state secrets' in the logs other than maybe hostnames (which may include domain names) and IP addresses.

Hostnames can be replaced with media server name 'media1' and client name 'client1', IP addresses with IPs such as 10.10.10.1, etc.

I have personally posted own and customer logs after doing 'search and replace' as mentioned above, meaning no company info was shared in a public forum.

Other users have sent me a Private Message with logs attached to the PM.

Some issues require log files to be looked at - no other way.

Good luck!