cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO downing drives. To be expected?

someoldman
Level 3

We are still on Netbackup Enterprise 5.1 MP5. We will be going to 6.5.x in 3-5 months. Meanwhile, to get us over a hump, we are adding a second media server at 5.1 MP5 and using SSO. We have 5 LTO drives in the library. When I set both media servers to use a maximum of 5 drives for backups, the device monitor often reports several of the drives to be in "mixed" status. Up on the media server writing tapes and down on the other media server. Is that to be expected???? In order to avoid this downing drive condition, I set one media server at a max drive for backups at 3 and the other is set for 2. As I read and understand the SSO install and config, I should just be able to set them both at 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Possibly a configuration issue - maybe what one media server sees as drive A the other sees as drive B so there is contention: when one uses drive A & the other tries to use drive B (as it sees it as being free) it finds it to be, unexpectedly, busy & then downs the drive path.

How did you set up your drives?

From what I can remember, should be done using the device configuration wizard on the master? It can then 'coordinate' which drives are which. If you use tpconfig there's more chance of a configuration issue.

You could check out the troubleshooting section in the Shared Storage Guide which I've just noticed is for 6.5 & you're using 5.1MP5  !!! So you want the Media Manager System Admin. Guide but the troubleshooting section for SSO amounts to the same on both.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Possibly a configuration issue - maybe what one media server sees as drive A the other sees as drive B so there is contention: when one uses drive A & the other tries to use drive B (as it sees it as being free) it finds it to be, unexpectedly, busy & then downs the drive path.

How did you set up your drives?

From what I can remember, should be done using the device configuration wizard on the master? It can then 'coordinate' which drives are which. If you use tpconfig there's more chance of a configuration issue.

You could check out the troubleshooting section in the Shared Storage Guide which I've just noticed is for 6.5 & you're using 5.1MP5  !!! So you want the Media Manager System Admin. Guide but the troubleshooting section for SSO amounts to the same on both.