Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Drive Requests Incorrect Media ID

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Hi there,

I have a remote office with a standalone drive attached to a media server running NBU v6.0 MP4 on Win 2003. A blank media has been inserted and is ready for use. It has been allocated the media ID of A00001. When I issue a backup request the job will queue and go into pending mode, waiting for a different media ID (A00004) to be inserted.

I'm running NBU v6.0 MP4 on Win 2003 across the board. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simon.
7 REPLIES 7

Derek_Black
Level 4
I'd probably try deleting the A00004 volume and adding in the A00001 volume. Make sure there are no other tapes owned by the media server there either that it could be trying to grab.

Robert_Minser
Level 4
Add the new media to the backup pool.

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Unfortunately, the A00004 volume has production data on it. Also, yes I have added the new media ID into the media pool. Thank you anyway.

Message Edited by Simon Caudwell on 02-21-2008 04:56 AM

Message Edited by Simon Caudwell on 02-21-2008 04:56 AM

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Unfortunately I've little experience of using anything but tape libraries with barcode readers on NB (anything for an easy life), but if the new tape (A00001) is in the correct volume pool for the backup that's trying to run (same as A00004) you could always try temporarily freezing A00004, in effect 'forcing' NB to use the tape that's loaded.

Derek_Black
Level 4
I agree, freeze (or suspend) A00004 and any other tapes in the pool and then try the operation. Also be sure to check the scratch pool.

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Thanks Derek & Andy.

In the end, it was faulty media. It was only requesting the other Media ID because the one in the drive was no good. Another classic example of relying on non-IT staff at remote sites. One day I'll get Puredisk and remove the issue. One day.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Simon Caudwell wrote:
Another classic example of relying on non-IT staff at remote sites. One day I'll get Puredisk and remove the issue. One day.

What, and take all the fun out of it? Smiley Wink