Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This version of Red Hat supported? 2.4.21-27.ELsmp

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
Hi All,

I am attempting to stand up a media server on a Red Hat box at this level: 2.4.21-27.ELsmp.  The package I'm attempting to install is:

NB_65_LinuxR_x86_20070723

When I go to install the server software, I get the "NetBackup server software for the linux platform is not on this cdrom."  I have the package unpacked correctly and all that, and I've installed this package on other boxes in the past from the same location I'm attempting the install from today. 

I called Symantec to verify that this version of Red Hat is supported, and they said it was.  Someone else told me that only version 2.6 is supported.  Symantec support said I needed to first uninstall the client software before installing the MM software, so I tried that to no avail.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.
3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
There's a lot of confusion (by customers AND TSEs!) about what's supported where RedHat is concerned.  Too often focus lands squarely on the kernel version...when our Compatibility Matrix doesn't mention kernel versions AT ALL!

To get a better handle on whether or not you're supported and if so, what you need to install, let's get output from these commands from you:

# uname -a
# cat /etc/redhat-release

Then we'll know EXACTLY which version of RedHat you've got as well as on which architecture you're running it.  After that, it should be a piece of cake to look you up using the matrix:

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.x Operating System Compatibility List (Updated April 22, 2009) 
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/278064

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
Thank you.  The version is actually:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 4)

I'm guessing I have a version issue.  I downloaded the Red Hat 2.6 package again off fileconnect and got the same message as I described before.

Many thanks,
C.J.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
OK, so you have RHEL AS 3. 

Assuming you're on x86 or x64*, the O/S compatibility list says you want to download and use the "RedHat2.4" one (see page 5).

I went to FileConnect and I THINK the one you want to download is called "NetBackup_6.5_Linux2.4" or at least has a filename that closely resembles that.  :)

*Now keep in mind this is assuming that you're not on a funky architecture that we only support as a client (like IA-64 - see page *6*).  The `uname -a` output would have confirmed or denied that.