cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to pause catalog

ngdan
Level 3
Hi guys,

got this message from one of the policy as the backup was partially successful. Did a search online and found 2-3 methods with regards to this problem. Did not follow the methods as they required the Indexing service to be started. whereas in my situation, would prefer the indexing to be disable. Not too sure what other methods i can try. If any of you guys out there had the same problem before hope to have your advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Warning bpbrm(pid=4052) from client au-per-dc1: WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog: System (some files may not get backed up)
18/07/2007 1:12:12 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=4052) from client au-per-dc1: WRN - can't open file: C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
The individual file:
C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb
...is safe to exclude from backups, and/or ignore from error reports.  The DHCP database gets secured along with the System_State (or Shadow_Copy_Components).  Also, DHCP backs itself up once every hour to a separate "/backup" folder anyway, and unless you explicity exclude this folder from your file system backups, then your backups will secure this "/backup" of DHCP too.

sdo
We're running NBU ES v5.1 MP6, and we get over 600+ of these messages every night:
WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog: System (some files may not get backed up)
...Seems to me to be some confusion between Symantec and Microsoft.  I've never found a suitable explanation.  I'm hoping that v5.1 MP7 will resolve this.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I recommend excluding the file. It's best practice to eliminate as many status 1 backups as possible. Not many people strive to go to the Olympics for a chance to win the silver medal. Go for the gold!

This looks like the perfect canidate to test your 400+ line script for adding exclusions to the registry :)

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 07-19-200708:32 AM

sdo
Looks like the problem of:
WRN - Content Indexing Server: unable to pause catalog
...in v5.x, is due to be fixed in v5.0 MP8 and v5.1 MP7:

...and this link describes two workarounds that may, or may not, be relevant:

ngdan
Level 3
Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do the exclude tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks alot