Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding nbrbutil -dump output

naughty_bits
Level 3
Certified

Howdy NBU gurus!

I was recently was looking into a catalog/vault issue and noticed something in the output of the nbrbutil -dump command and was curious as to what it meant.

The vault job duplication had the following:

ndex=16 (Allocation: id={98C28410-1DD1-11B2-823B-00144FABDC9A} provider=ReservationGroupProvider resourcename=Wxxxx masterserver=prodxxxx groupid={98C2792A-1DD1-11B2-84E3-00144FABDC9A} userSequence=2 userid="jobid=196786" (MediaReservation: mountCount=2 reservationKey=5203900 request=(MediaRequest: mediaId=Wxxxx mediaServer=prodxxxx mediaKey=4007988 userReservationId= assignedTime=0 client= usageType=0 mustBeNdmp=no driveName= drivePath= mediaPool= robotNumber=-1 slotNumber=-1 density=-1 ndmpControlHost= failIfNoMedia=no externalFile= mediaType=2 mediaSubType=0 isNdmp=false isTirRestore=false isFlashbackupRestore=false isBlockMapRead=false isCatalogBackup=true isGcsCatalogBackup=true isVMWare=true isLifeCycle=false preferVtlToDirectAttachedTape=true)))

What exactly is does isGcsCatalogBackup=true mean?  Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Thanks gurus!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You know all I know, sadly.  Most of them are self-explanatory, at least.  :)

Oooh, wait.  A backline guy JUST told me that there's yet another undocumented command line switch for nbrbutil which will give you the data in a SLIGHTLY more legible format.  Try:

nbrbutil -cleandump

The tradeoff is I don't think it gives you quite as much information as a "regular" dump.

(Thanks, John!)

I guess we'll need to edit this one - cleandump isn't listed in it:

DOCUMENTATION: A listing and explanation of switches for the nbrbutil command

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282359

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CRZ
Level 6

I tried to look it up.  "GCS" apparently stands for "Global Configuration Server."  (I found that in the Storage Foundation documentation, of all places.)  Within NetBackup, it's a component of ...SSO?  SANdisk?  Something I've never personally offered support for?  Probably.  :)

I believe what you're seeing in that output is a flag for a kind of policy type that currently isn't in use.  (It also looks like it's almost always the same value as the isCatalogBackup value.)

That's...not much help, admittedly.  Take all this with the appropriate amount of grains of salt.  ;)

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
man not even google knows about this, let us know what you get...

Roobix_Cube
Level 5

Hey CRZ,

Any way you could give us a breakdown on how best to translate the  "nbrbutil -dump" output in general?

Thanks!

CRZ
Level 6

You know all I know, sadly.  Most of them are self-explanatory, at least.  :)

Oooh, wait.  A backline guy JUST told me that there's yet another undocumented command line switch for nbrbutil which will give you the data in a SLIGHTLY more legible format.  Try:

nbrbutil -cleandump

The tradeoff is I don't think it gives you quite as much information as a "regular" dump.

(Thanks, John!)

I guess we'll need to edit this one - cleandump isn't listed in it:

DOCUMENTATION: A listing and explanation of switches for the nbrbutil command

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282359

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Thanks CRZ.  Fyi, pretty sure that cleandump is only available for 6.5, not 6.0....

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
One way that I use to make this more readable:

nbrbutil -dump | grep -i <media> | sed -e 's/ /\
/g'

Note that the enter in the sed command is taked like a character where we replace every space for an enter spliting the long lines in short parameters.