Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User to Administrate NetBackup

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

Is NetBackup able to use other user instead of user with the right of UNIX root administrators or Windows system administrators to manage NetBackup ?

For example, for Windows OS, could I create a user with no administrator right to start the NetBackup service?

Thank  you.
1 REPLY 1

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
Admin user right is required for the NetBackup Client Service (Windows) and root (UNIX) can read all the filesystem data and system files for the backup.

In Windows, you need (local) admin right to install NetBackup.

Once install is done, you can change the NetBackup Client Service to log on as some other non-admin-account, yes.

But that will only cause failures in backing up system files and probably most of other files too, because a snapshot (usually) needs to be created before starting the backup.

On UNIX, you need to install it as root, and I don't know if you can ever make it run as non-root user.

Anyway, it's not recommended, and if you do it, backup process will not be able to backup significant portion of your data for sure.

You also mentioned "to manage" NetBackup - and if you mean NetBackup operations like starting/stopping NetBackup jobs and modifying policy/device configurations, then yes you can do it as a non-root user on UNIX.

You simply add a line in /usr/openv/java/auth.conf file as below, then that user will be able to log on to the Java GUI and manage everything in NetBackup.

username ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL

For Windows, I did not test it, but as long as a system is configured as a NetBackup SERVER in the master server's configuration, I think you can run Windows Remote Admin Console on that system as any user.

So in both UNIX/Windows, yes you can manage NetBackup as a non-root/non-admin user.

Abe