cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware VADP (VCB replacement) for VMware/ESX backups

JayDhillon
Level 4

Has anyone tried the new vspere VADP (vstorage API's for Data Protection) backup feature which is replacing the VCB with Netbackup. We are backing up VM's traditional way by using the agent on each host. Now have started looking into option of backing up the Virtual servers using the ESX Hosts.  Would anyone know the licensing cost and what's involved in backing up VMware environment using this new feature.

4 REPLIES 4

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

My memory is that licensing is similar to VCB on the symantec side.  You need to have one Enterprise Client for each ESX server that you want to back up.
--
Darren

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

When using NetBackup for VMware, you purchase an "Enterprise Client" license for each ESX host protected.  In other words, license the physical host, not the VMs.

The minimum VMware requirements for vStorage API support is ESX 3.5 U2 and/or vCenter 2.5.

Sango
Level 3

Hi Brian,

This may be a strange question to ask.

Can you please tell me where can I download the vStorage API that support ESX3.5 U2?

Thanks.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Sango,

Not sure whether VMware has released Vstorage API for 3.5 environment. As per my understanding this is Vsphere feature, which is 4.x version.

Jay

Configuration of NBU to backup Vmware VMs using vstorage API is very simple as compared to VCB. Also you do not need dedicated server for VCB and access to DS LUS, blah blah..

With vstorage API vmware host allows backup server to access vmfs partition where VMs are residing, even through ESX server, and vcenter server also. and even you can take block level incremental backups

You just have to simply add your Vmware credentials in NBU and create policy with FlashBackup-Windows policy. 

For more information on vstorage API backup configuration in NBU refer to NBU 7 VMware guide.

Below shown are few snaps for the same.

Licensing - 

NetBackup for VMware licensing has been simplified. As of the NetBackup 7.0 release, only one Enterprise Client license will be required for each (physical) ESX server regardless of the OS type and number of virtual machines running on that ESX server.

Hope this helps and answers queries...