cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VTL Licencing with NDMP

alexlowe
Level 4
Partner

Hi, my customer wants to use a Sun VTL which has the capability in conjunction with NetBackup to write directly to Tape using NDMP. We understand that a Front End TB licence is required in either Standard or Enterprise variety depending on whether Replication or De-Dup is used but how is the NDMP transfer licenced?

In the Compatability Charts, VTL support is listed but under NDMP only NAS platforms are listed. On the price list, NDMP is a tiered option. If we have to licence the NDMP element, what Tier does it fall into?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
You only need the drives licenses, the NDMP is part of the Netbackup product all what you need to do is configure thise drives with NDMP access to the filer and add them to a STU.

udubplate
Level 4
Physical drive licenses (LBTO, SSO, Vault, etc) do not apply to VTL scenarios unless you also have physical tape drives involved. It is the Standard or Enterprise Disk per Front End TB that is required to backup to a VTL scenario. I'm not positive what other licensing is required for NDMP backups but it should not any different than what is required to backup NDMP to physical drives, other than the Std or Ent Disk licensing.

Michael_Rae
Level 3

You will need a TB liscense per TB of front end storage as you already know.

NDMP is liscensed seperately per NAS box, and tiered based on no. of CPUs i believe. 1 liscence allows you to set up as many NDMP drives as you like for a single NAS box, as long as those drives are liscensed themselves in a relevent way.

alexlowe
Level 4
Partner

All,

This is exactly why I asked this question as there seems to be confusion. I am talking about a VTL that can use NDMP to move the virtual tape volumes out to real tape which not all VTL's can do. I am not talking about NAS filer heads using NDMP protocol. I beleive the correct answer was given early on in that with VTL's, NDMP data mover utility is included in the Front End TB licence. Perhaps the Licencing Guide could be made a bit clearer.

Alex

Michael_Rae
Level 3
It may be worth marking the thread as solved if you already have the answer you were looking for.

udubplate
Level 4
I agree that there could be a lot of improvement made in regards to NBU licensing and the documentation that explains the different minutiae surrounding it.