Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume pool selection - misbehaviuor?

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Hi all,
NBU Version 6 MP1
I have set a single policy to backup one server. It does an incremental backup Monday - Thursday and a full backup on the Friday. We have two volume pools, one for the incrementals and one for the full backups. In the policy schedule I have made the incremental pool the default and have (tried to) overridden the default pool so that the full backups write to the full pool. This isn't working. When I make the change in the full schedule everything looks OK. Unfortunately this resets back to the default pool as soon as I even look at the incremental schedule.

It looks to me like a bug - am I doing anything wrong?

TIA

Mark P.
5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Let me modify the above. The problem seems to be that the volume pool set as the override pool is not retained if you go back into the schedule for which the pool is overridden.

To clarify - I go to the full pool. I set the override to full (rather than the default). I click on OK to exit. I check the policy schedule and everything looks fine - the full is set to full and the incremental is set to default. I go back into the full schedule and the override policy check box is ticked but the actual policy field is empty. If I click OK with the field empty and look at the policy schedule there is no mention of full in the pool column and if I go back into the full schedule the tick is gone from the override pool check box and the schedule is back to using the default pool. This means that every time I go into the affected schedule I have to remember to tick the box and choose the relevant policy.

This is looking more like a bug to me..... Unless I'm missing an option!

Mark P.

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
OK - aside from the fact that I can't spell "misbehaviour" - I have had this confirmed by Symantec support as a known bug that will be fixed in MP3 (couple of months).

Always useful to know

DS

zippy
Level 6
Mark,

You talking to yourself, funny.... ;)

6.x is a big P.O.C, but it does appear to be getting a better.

JD

Mark_Phillips
Level 3
Indeed, it's a sad lonely life in the world of Enterprise backups!

Derek_Black_2
Level 3
Indeed....
When that type of thing happens to me (GUI doesn't refresh or update) I usually go back to the command line. It would be interesting to see what would happen in this case. I think the command is something like:

bpplsched -policy_name -pool volume_pool