Is NOM free ?
Make it sense to install NOM ?
How to install NOW ?
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6
it's free and useful

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Operations Manager Getting Started Guide
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279292.pdf

Thomas_Schulz_2
Level 3
I've installed the software an it runs.

But what is the user & password ????????

guest/welcome will not work

Justin_Curry
Level 2
I think it was

user name=admin
password=Vxadmin

Vince_Corona
Level 4
I've never really been impressed with NOM. We are a pure Microsoft shop and the software really is a pain to setup, and I never seen any benefit to it. Anyone else agree?

Thomas_Schulz_2
Level 3
Hi Vince.

Yes. You are so right!

The Java GUI is much better and the NOM is 4free.

Hung_Pham
Level 3
I didnt think it was a pain to setup. (We do not use Vertias Authenication.) It was a paint o find the admin password. Especially coming to a new environment and trying to find all the documentation. Veritas does not make any easy to find.
I keeping seeing my servers in a down state when they are actually up and the jobs reference are correct.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The NOM is beneficial in giving a restricted access to end users to view their jobs without the heavy memory usage required by java.

Dave_Brown_3
Level 3
NOM was the main reason I upgraded to 6.0

I want to be impressed with NOM but it is just not happening. I had a pain installing it as I run in a dual nic environment.

Once I got it to see my server and actually report on its' status, I went to alerts. Setup some alerts to tell me about hung jobs , set it to alert after 10hrs but got alerts well before that. after 500 or so alerts over just one night, I have disabled that alert.

Next, I went to reports. Main report I need is a montly usage report terabytes per client. While I did get the report, it only seems to go back two weeks and some of the files sizes are negative...go figure

So, all in all I find it useless at this point.

Hung_Pham
Level 3
Bob,

Please tell that to the Veritas Sales Team.

They are indicating it as the all end reporting tool for the enterprise. Which I do not see at all.