cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any gotcha's in NBU 6.5.1 with a multi-homed master and media servers???

SprawlsJC
Not applicable

I have a master server and 4 media servers all with 4 LAN drops each (all on the same backup network).  Each NIC has a unique hostname assigned to them.

When I install 6.5.1 on my master which hostname should I use since it has 4 active LAN drops for my backup network?

I want to setup my backup environment so I can fully utilize the 4 NIC's in each server so the network is not my bottle neck.

Is there any reason why I cannot configure the SERVER = parameter in the bp.conf file on each media server so that it points to a different NIC on the master server?

Is there any reason why I cannot configure the SERVER = parameter in the bp.conf file on each of my LAN clients and point it to a specfic NIC on either my master or media servers?

Is there any issues with running the GUI on a media server?

2 REPLIES 2

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Configure your master server for the interface, which is accessible from every media server as well accessible from your desktop/laptop or any host where you would launch Java console to administrate NetBackup.

Having two nic's on master server one public and one backup is kind of standard practice but more than one interface for NetBackup use on master server can cause you issues. Instead of configuring these interfaces to multiple backup subnet or with multiple IPs you may want to create trunking/teaming, whcih can provide you higher bandwidth as long as your Network switch supports trunks/channels.

Multiple NICs for backups on media server is widely used and works great.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

Our NetBackup environment is pretty similar to yours and we use trunking on both master server and media servers.