cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup of VMs on NAS storage using VADP

ccw
Not applicable

Hi,

I am looking into an agentless image level and file level backup solution for the virtual machines in my vSphere 5.1 environment and I understand that the VMware's vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP)allows for 3rd party vendors to do this (which Netbackup does).

However, we are using NAS storage which is presented as NFS datastores in ESXi where the virtual machine's VMDK reside.  Will this work or does it require SAN/VMFS datastores?

thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful...of support for vsphere 5.1

Currently NetBackup 7.5.x does not support vSphere 5.1

I read somewhere that 7.6 will support it - dont know release date though. Thats not to say any maintenance update might add it in. Keep checking release notes of new updates.

You could use network mode (NBD) and possibly hot-add to backup the virtual machine storage, without a SAN.

Interesting out the starting blocks this week is Veeam 6.5 and supports 5.1

(Veeam does not have tape support however..yet.. maybe..)

EDIT:Read this document so you know what your environment is currently supported on with NetBackup.

Snippet from below PDF
vSphere 5.1 "Future version of NetBackup. (To be released in the first half of 2013)"
DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated September 17, 2012). http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127089