cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup over SAN

Nery
Not applicable

Hi everybody

I have Netbackup Enterprise Server 6.5, running on Solaris 10. The Backup Server and Media Manager are running on the same host and I have a tape library with 4 tape drives attached to that host via SAN.

When I run a backup of my backup server (the disks are attached to the SAN), on the Activity Monitor appear that the transport type is the LAN.

Can somebody tell me if this is correct ? and how can I do to backup over the SAN ?

Thanks

Nery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bumj1
Level 5

I have a similar setup you are describing.  Master/Media on the same server and tape library attached to the server via fibre switch.  I am also using SSO so that the SAN can see the tape drives as well. 

All of my backups are showing the "Transport Type" as "LAN".

The backups are without a doubt going across the fibre even though the activity monitor states LAN.  

In order to determine exactly how your backups are running, you can  run a command against your fibre switch to determine where the data is coming from and how it is getting to the tape drives.  My SAN heads have their own paths to the tape library.  I am not sure if this would be the case for you.  On my Brocade switch the command is "Portperfshow". 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

copy and paste log from activity monitor.

bumj1
Level 5

I have a similar setup you are describing.  Master/Media on the same server and tape library attached to the server via fibre switch.  I am also using SSO so that the SAN can see the tape drives as well. 

All of my backups are showing the "Transport Type" as "LAN".

The backups are without a doubt going across the fibre even though the activity monitor states LAN.  

In order to determine exactly how your backups are running, you can  run a command against your fibre switch to determine where the data is coming from and how it is getting to the tape drives.  My SAN heads have their own paths to the tape library.  I am not sure if this would be the case for you.  On my Brocade switch the command is "Portperfshow". 

dami
Level 5

I have a feeling that this information field is used only when the "SAN Client and Fibre Transport" feature is being used. Any Symantec guru's out there who can confirm ?

Another way to check which hardware your data is being sent through is to run an iostat on the media server when the backup is running - eg iostat -xnz 2 ..... here you should see current througput on the tape devices and not on the NIC devices. If your tapes are being written to then it MUST be going over the SAN.  The network is only used to receive the datastreams from the clients and NetBackup cant send data to SAN attached drives via the LAN.

bumj1
Level 5

@dami wrote:
If your tapes are being written to then it MUST be going over the SAN.  The network is only used to receive the datastreams from the clients and NetBackup cant send data to SAN attached drives via the LAN

Exactly! I had this thought, but failed to mention it.