Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpduplicate for tapes

shekhar
Not applicable
Hi all,
I want to duplicate a tape to new scratch tape . For example :
duplicate a data tape (VER100) to scratch tape (VER200) .

How do I do that ?

Thanks
Shekhar
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup duplicates image not tapes. Determine what images on the tape you want duplicated and select them from the GUI. You will find duplication available under the catalog section of the GUI.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Looks like "bpduplicate" does accept a media id with the "-id" switch.  The commands doc says it will duplicate images that span the media too.  What isn't clear is whether this includes one or more of images that span onto, completely across or from the media in question.  I've always duplicated using "bid" files (basically a simple text file that lists the image IDs) - so I also didn't know that you can supposedly copy by media id - until now of course.

What I can add is that the bpduplicate command is a bit fiddly and you need to read the commands manual carefully and think hard whether you need to include each switch - and try to build an example command line on paper before attempting it - you'll see what I mean when you do it.  Don't worry if you can't seem to get it to work the first few times you try - it does work, it's just that it's very demanding with getting the switches just right.

The really useful switch is "-p" i.e. preview, which generates a simple list of the what bpduplicate will/would do without actually performing the duplication.

Here's an example:

bpduplicate -number_copies 1 -dstunit BACSRV5-TLD-LTO-SITEA -dp DB_DUMPS -client mymach -primary -hoursago 1440 -mpx -pt Standard -rl 11 -set_primary 1 -sl DAILY_CINC -st CINC -Bidfile C:\duplicate-three.bid -L "C:\duplicate-three.log"

…with a BID file of:

mymach_1160532442

mymach_1160546729

mymach_1160532435

Notes:

bpduplicate

-number_copies 1                Copies to make.

-dstunit BACSRV5-TLD-LTO-SITEA  Destination storage unit.

-dp DB_DUMPS                    Destination pool.

-client mymach                 Source client.

-primary                        Make this copy the new copy.

-hoursago 1440                  Within the last two months.

-mpx                            Multi-plexing copies.

-pt Standard                    Policy type (Standard, MS-Windows-NT).

-rl 11                          New retention level, infinite (0=1week, 3=1month, 8=1year, 11=inifinte) or whatever you have at your site.

-set_primary 1                  Set copy 1 as new primary.

-sl DAILY_CINC                  Schedule label.

-st CINC                        Schedule type (INCR=diff)

-Bidfile <file>                 The <file> has to be on a local drive that the system/root account can see.

-L <file>                       Log file for job.

Optional parameters:

-p                   Preview activity, display media names etc.

N.B: The BID file and the log file have to reside on a disk that the System_Authority or root account (or whatever account the client service/daemon runs under) can reach, so, for Windows I would typically use C:\ - i.e. it is high likely that you won't be able to use mapped drive letters.

Message Edited by sdw303 on 10-23-2007 10:49 PM

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Having said all that, it's definitely easier to use the GUI.

Stumpr2
Level 6
what is on one tape may not fit onto another tape due to a compression algorithms, bandwidth etc..