cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we restore Exchange information store backup to another machine

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i have Exchange2003 installed on a win2003 server. My Exchange2003 Server is running perfectly alright and taking backup via NBU 6.5.

1.) can i restore Exchange information store backup of my Live Server to another machine on the same Network/different network ?

2.) can i restore Exchange information store backup of my Live Server to another machine with different name on the same Network/different network ?
2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"...
Redirecting a restore to a different client
An Exchange restore can be redirected to a client other than the client that originally performed the backup. Most of the Exchange objects that have been backed up can be redirected to a different client, with the following limitations:
■The Microsoft Exchange Directory and SRS databases contain machine and security information. Therefore, they can only be restored to the original computer or a clone of the original computer.
■The Microsoft Exchange Information Store databases can be restored to a different Exchange Server.
■The following requirements must be met for Exchange 2000 or later before you redirect the restore of storage groups or individual databases.
-The storage groups and databases must exist on the target server.
-The storage groups and databases must have the same names as the original storage groups or databases.
-The target databases must be configured so that they can be overwritten. (Use the Exchange System Manager and right-click the database you want to overwrite and choose Properties. On the Database tab, select This database can be overwritten by a restore.)
-The target server must have the same Organization and Administrative Group name as the source server.
-If you redirect the KMS, this service must be installed on the destination client
..."

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Thanks for your kind reply

1.) Can the name of EXchange Server be different on which i am going to redirect the backup of live exchange2003?

2.) Without Microsoft Exchange Directory and SRS databases do i use the exchange server as i was using the live server, or what the impact will come after restore ?