cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file read failed error during SharePoint 2003 index db backup --- Server status = 13

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
I'm running NBU 6.0 MP4 and trying to backup a SharePoint 2003 server using the SharePoint agent.  I have configured a MS SharePoint policy type and am backing up the Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\ selection.  The backup runs, and completes with a Status 1.  The failure occurs on the index db with a file read error <Server status = 13>.  I have a ticket open with Veritas and they said the backup account needs to be added to the SharePoint admins group.  All the veritas articles I've read just state that the backup service account just needs to be a local admin on the server where all the SharePoint components reside. This server in question is all encompassing in that SharePoint, SQL and all the web components are housed on this single box.  I am unfamiliar with SharePoint administration and don't know where to configure this, if it is indeed required.   Has anyone come across this?

Also, we have already verified the following:

- The Netbackup client service is running under the backup service account.
 - The backup service account is in the local administrators group on the server.
 - The backup service account has been added to  "Replace a process level token"       
   under Local  Security  settings || User Rights Assignment  on the server.
1 REPLY 1

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
Problem resolved!  The Status 13 was an access denied error to the SharePoint index db during the backup.  My backup service account wasn't a member of the SharePoint Administrators group (see Page 12 of Netbackup 6.0 for SharePoint 2003).  In my case it turns out that the SharePoint admin was setup as a user account instead of a group.  Since a user account was configured as the SharePoint admin account, I had no way to add my backup service account to this, as you can only add users to groups.  Instead the Veritas Support Engineer said I can just run the NBU client service on the SharePoint server as the SharePoint admin account.  I ran a test backup and am now able to backup the index db without any problems. 

To add an account to the SharePoint administration group perform the following:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint
   Central  Administration.
2. Under Security Configuration, click Set SharePoint administration group.
3. In the Group account name box, type the domain group you want to allow to administer Windows SharePoint
   Services.
4.Click OK.