cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple exclude_list files?

joel_golden
Level 2

Environment:  NB 7.5.0.5 on RHEL 6.3

We have a standard set of paths for our exclude_list but have unique exlcudes I would like to add to one-off clients.  (i.e. clustered clients that mount the same NFS export.)  

It is not uncommon for us to do a mass replacement of the exclude_list using a distributed shell command, which of course wipes out any modifications to the existing exclude_list.  Is there a "directive / command" to use inside the default exclude list to include another file?  Any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Joel Golden

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

if u want to append exclude list plz use these two commands

1)bpsetconfig and bpgetconfig

step
1)use bpgetcommand frm master server to retrive the existing exclude list of a client and keep in a temp location

step
2)add/append exclude entry to the file i.e kept in temp location by the step1

step
3)use the bpsetconfig to push the updated exclude list to the client.

use the below technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66046

View solution in original post

Stumpr2
Level 6

sounds like the solution to me.

might I add:

step 1. I suggest a permanent location. I use /usr/local/openv/excludes/$CLIENT_NAME as I sometimes use a script to gather every NIX client's exclude_list

Nice thing about a permanent copy is that you have a history if something changed in the file. Also you can compare servers. Especially clustered servers. Using the client name for the file name helps for making scripting easier.

You can also search for exclude_list.$POLICY.$Schedule with bplist and gather those files.
bplist -C {clientname} -l -PI -s 10/23/2013 -e 10/23/2013 "/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list*"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

if u want to append exclude list plz use these two commands

1)bpsetconfig and bpgetconfig

step
1)use bpgetcommand frm master server to retrive the existing exclude list of a client and keep in a temp location

step
2)add/append exclude entry to the file i.e kept in temp location by the step1

step
3)use the bpsetconfig to push the updated exclude list to the client.

use the below technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66046

Stumpr2
Level 6

sounds like the solution to me.

might I add:

step 1. I suggest a permanent location. I use /usr/local/openv/excludes/$CLIENT_NAME as I sometimes use a script to gather every NIX client's exclude_list

Nice thing about a permanent copy is that you have a history if something changed in the file. Also you can compare servers. Especially clustered servers. Using the client name for the file name helps for making scripting easier.

You can also search for exclude_list.$POLICY.$Schedule with bplist and gather those files.
bplist -C {clientname} -l -PI -s 10/23/2013 -e 10/23/2013 "/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list*"

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

As already mentioned there is no exlude list merge function in Netbackup. Only a replace

Would be a great option however.

Stumpr2
Level 6

I agree Nicolai. It would be great. If you can add a media server on a NIX client in the bp.conf through the client properties then symantec should be able to do excludes. bp.conf, exclude_list are just text files.