Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to backup Exchange 2007 mailboxes

Eelco
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

I've got a problem with backing up Exchange 2007 mailboxes and public folders.

I've got the following setup:

Windows 2003 x64 which is connected to 2 subnets (A + B)

Exchange 2007 x64

Backup server Windows 2003 x32 with NetBackup 6.5.2A which is connected to 2 subnets (A + B)

DataDomain which is connected to 2 subnets (A + B)

Subnet A is the production LAN en subnet B is the LAN for backing up the data. We use the local host file of the windows server to connect the hostname (followed by -bck) to get the right hosts inside Netbackup

When I'm starting up a backup job via which goes via subnet B it goes completely wrong.

When I take the subnet A LAN and start the backup everything goes well and I can also restore on single mail level.

I've got also 2 other jobs which backs up the complete information store and the Windows Exchange server. These 2 jobs also run on the subnet B LAN and these 2 jobs are running correctly.

Does someone maybe know what this problem could be? Is it maybe a Exchange 2007 problem?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Eelco

2 REPLIES 2

Eelco
Level 2
Partner
I've spoken to tech support and with them we saw that it was a DNS problem. Inside the /etc/hosts file we connect the public host name to subnet B.

ValJean
Level 3
We have a similar setup, backing up Exchange (and most other servers) over our BUN (Backup Utility Network.)  NetBackup demands that DNS, forward & reverse, resolve successfully for NBU Master, Media and Client servers.  Normally, this is not a problem, as multiple interfaces on any of these servers are clearly defined by name and IP.  The problem with Exchange is that the mail store is tied to the primary interface on the Exchange server, and any attempt to connect to it for backup over secondary interfaces will fail, as that name is not tied to the Exchange mail store.  Host files are the only workaround.