Did you mean: 

snapshot error encountered

V_P_S
Level 4

Hi All.

vssadmin list writers

vssadmin list providers

Does not provide any output and backup fails with

ERR - Unable to backup System State or Shadow Copy. Please check the state of VSS and associated Writers.INF - EXIT STATUS 69: invalid file list specification

Sep 4, 2012 11:15:31 PM - Warning bpbrm (pid=15565) from client tus1hypwebpib02: WRN - archive bits will NOT be cleared

Sep 4, 2012 11:15:32 PM - Critical bpbrm (pid=15565) unexpected termination of client

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

vssadmin list writers and vssadmin list providers does not provide any output

When I read this "Does not provide any output" in your original post I was assuming that you meant it showed no errors - (Note to self: Don't ass-u-me!!)

Likely, therefore, that this is a Windows issue & not a NetBackup issue.

Did you try restarting the Volume Shadow Copy service as suggested earlier or even re-boot the client?

Is it possible that you have a corrupt registry entry or you need to re-register your vss dlls?

Maybe worth checking: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Please supply a little more info: NetBackup versions & OS's involved (master/client); backup selection in policy.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Did you right click on the cmd icon and select "Run as administrator". This apply for Win2008 and up only.

V_P_S
Level 4

Please find below..

NetBackup Client Protocol Level = 6.5.4

Client OS/Release = Windows2003 5

Master Netbackup version:  6.5.6

Master OS: SunOS 5.9

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

go to windows services and restart , restart volume shadow copy service and Microsoft software shadow copy provider.

then try to backup the system with NTbackup.

V_P_S
Level 4

Hi Muhanad.

I have a one doubt here, if vss adminlist writers and vss adminlist providers does not provide any output then how Windownt backup become successful.

I dont think soo that its a right?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

vssadmin list writers and vssadmin list providers does not provide any output

When I read this "Does not provide any output" in your original post I was assuming that you meant it showed no errors - (Note to self: Don't ass-u-me!!)

Likely, therefore, that this is a Windows issue & not a NetBackup issue.

Did you try restarting the Volume Shadow Copy service as suggested earlier or even re-boot the client?

Is it possible that you have a corrupt registry entry or you need to re-register your vss dlls?

Maybe worth checking: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

V_P_S
Level 4

Thanks Andy..

This will helpful for me...

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear VSS,

The VSS problem related to Windows and not to netbackup, i worked for more than six years on netbackup and this error many times.

thank you andy for more suggestion, but i think i have first coffie cup :)