cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unserstanding the "Disable Purging" checkbox

bruhnf
Not applicable
Hi folks,

Just got VBR 6.6 installed on a Solaris 10 box and finally got past the Java Heap Space problem (I hope). So now everything appears to be collecting and reporting.

I am wondering about the “Disable Purging” checkbox located in global settings. I was hoping to get some guidance on this since the admin manual doesn’t tell you anything further than how to check the box and click save.

What does this actually do? Should I enable this? I mean, should I check the box to disable purging. I’m guessing YES since I don’t want the media data purged every time the service starts. But then there is that little warning beside the checkbox that says… “Warning: Do not use this in a production environment” So now I’m really confused. I originally thought I would not want to purge my data every time the thing starts but maybe that is not the case.

So... check the box  OR do not check the box? 

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
That box only does purging from the demo database according to the manual. =) 

You will want to take a look at this section instead : 

To configure data retention settings for the Veritas Backup Reporter Management Server
  1. Connect to the Veritas Backup Reporter Management Server with administrator-level privileges.
  2. For instructions on how to start the console and connect to the Veritas Backup Reporter Management Server, see the Veritas Backup Reporter User’s Guide.
  3. In the console navigation bar, click Settings > Global Settings.
  4. In the console’s Administration page, click Data Retention.
  5. In the Data Retention dialog box, edit the value in the Backup Log Data field and any other fields you want to modify.
  6. Click Save

Zenshai
Level 4
I dont think that media data will be purged everytime the VBR server restarts, it will only be purged after it is X days old (X being the number of days you put in the box next to it)

That said, disabling purging can make your VBR database grow fast.... im not sure how fast because I havent tried turning it on yet. I may have to do that soon though because I need to keep skipped files data more than the maximum allowed days (14 - low right?).