cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mountpoint not released after performing vxsnap reattach

jsoam
Level 2
Hi,

I am using vxsnap to take snapshot of exchange 2007 database and assigns the snapshot volume on mountpoint. On the next vxsnap reattach operation, even though volume is successfully reattached to original volume - the mountpoint folder still points to some unavailble volume. This stale entry causes the next vxsnap mount operation to fail as vxsnap fails to set the mountpoint.

I am using SFW 5.1 Service Pack 1 on windows 2003 x64.

Any thoughts/idea?

Thanks
Jitendra
3 REPLIES 3

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jitendra,

Mountpoint information is held in two locations – on the volume and on the folder.  The volume properties are modified so that it knows what folder it is mounted to and the folder properties are modified so that it knows what volume is mounted to it. 
It sounds like the volume is not being unmounted before it is being reattached to the original volume. This would mean the folder properties do not get cleaned and it prevents the next snap shot from mounting to the folder. 

The simple solution would be to delete and recreate the folder prior to doing the next snapshot. This will ensure that the folder properties do not contain any mount information from a prior snapshot.  Hopefully, you are doing your snapshots with a script so you can easily add the delete and make folder commands at the needed times.

Thanks,
Wally

jsoam
Level 2
Hello Wally,

Thanks for response. I started seeing this issue after moving to SFW SP1 - this was working fine with older version. Is there anything known around this?

Thanks
Jitendra

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jitendra,

I have not heard of any issues with 5.1 SP1 and snapshot of Exchange 2007 using mount points.  I would suggest that you open a case with Symantec Technical Support so that the issue can be investigated further.

Thanks,
Wally